• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hold The High Ground

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I tried a new tactic for hunting quail without a dog. I hunted in a swathing pattern. It worked well because I flushed a covey of about fifteen birds walking next to an isolated hill in the valley I hunt. They all went right over the top of the hill and put 30 yards of dirt between me and them. Not to be outsmarted. I walked around the hill expecting them to be down from the hillside milling around in the tall grass of the valley. When I got to the place on the other side where they had flushed to, they were still up on the military crest of the hill and promptly flushed to the wrong side of the hill again that I wasn’t on. Well I guess I just have to drag my fat butt up to the top of the hill and gain the high ground against these smart birds. It turned out to be very effective because having the high ground, when they did flush they flushed much less in a group which allowed me to get some good opportunities for singles in the valley and best of all, no hills for the birds to take cover.

Back