• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hogs have vanished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Does some of it go to shelters & food kitchens?"

i sometimes have a nice hog processed and give the meat to the food bank. Problem is most processors won't do wild hogs.

it goes to supply & demand. how much pork can one person eat? does some of it go to shelters & food kitchens?

I guess that I don't know what "WOKE " is? enlighten me please.
That's getting into politics and we don't talk politics on the forum unless you want to become a Premium Supporting member. Then, you can read more than you ever wanted to know about WOKE on the American Politics forum.

You are too good at what you do Howard, You wiped them all out . No shortage of pigs here in Crockett. This morning haul,
I used to hunt hogs on a place out there in East Texas, right on the Trinity river. The neighbors had released some hogs, claiming that the fence would keep them from coming on to her land. That arrangement didn't last and they soon overran both ranches. The landowner let us come out and shoot as many as we could but I doubt we put a dent in the population. Looks like you're keeping the numbers in check though!

That's getting into politics and we don't talk politics on the forum unless you want to become a Premium Supporting member. Then, you can read more than you ever wanted to know about WOKE on the American Politics forum.
thank you.

" Doubt you hunted them out of existence, they’ve got to be somewhere nearby."

Seen any Mammoths lately? :)

Howie,

Do those beasts migrate with the food supply or are they like a whitetail deer that will usually die in the same square mile they were born in ?

Thanks
O.R.
yes sir they do migrate they are very nomadic, i think shooting them with muzzleloaders has ran them off, its great for the deer and was the initial goal 6 years ago. i bow killed hundreds of them but when a bullet and powder charge costs me 50 cents or less i went that route. its not the end of the world as there are many places to hunt them ill just have to work a little harder

After 6 years of hunting them every week taking hundreds out i can say the hogs are gone. occasionly a lone boar comes through, i actually resorted to taking my long time 70 yr old hunting buddy on a paid archery hunt for hogs. guess ill get after the turkeys when season starts. found turkeys for the first time on a wma this last weekend theyve been restocking for years first time ive seen turkeys close to me so the management of turkeys has gotten better
No matter how many you’ve killed, the pigs are aren’t “gone”...at least not for long. I’ve been down this road many times over the last 20+ years of east Texas pig infestation.

i doubt that muzzleloader scared the hogs off. i've had the sounder return to a feeder after killing one hog.

Every visit to our property i use the firing range. Each time i shoot a box or two of .22 LR ammunition, 20-40 rounds of centerfire rifle ammunition or 10-30 rounds from a .50, .54 or .58 muzzleloader. Then i sometimes stay until dark watching a feeder. Despite all the shooting the hogs usually return to the feeder. i get a hog 2 out of three sessions at that place.

Left home about 5:30 pm for our hunting lease south of Walters. Drove by numerous wheat fields, there were hogs in three. i have permission to shoot hogs on one ranchers fields if cattle aren't present. There was a sounder of large hogs in one of his wheat fields. Uncased my long range unspeakable and popped a big boar at just over a lasered 325 yards.

Got to the lease at about 6;30 pm and sat there until about 8:30 pm, five deer visited the fenced feeder; no hogs came in. Checked the game camera and went home. At the unfenced feeder
there were game camera photos of deer, raccoons and small pigs, no adult hogs.

Our lease is 1/4 mile from 1200-1500 acres of wheat.

" Doubt you hunted them out of existence, they’ve got to be somewhere nearby."

Seen any Mammoths lately? :)
Your profile doesn’t mention where you live, but have you ever had the opportunity to experience wild hogs? A non-native invader that on average has 1-1/2 litters of 5 to 6 little piggies per year. The owner of a lease I hunt on in North Carolina offers a bounty on these ‘mammoth’ like creatures that literally have destroyed multiple acres of nurseries on the property. Seems they ‘escaped’ from a nearby ‘pay to hunt’ property. Build a fence around your property and I bet it can be arranged to have a few breeding pair delivered. Bet they will make wonderful pets and eliminate all vegetation on your property. Think about it. No need to mow or weed wack again.

Ain't that something, holy manure.
Last year, they shot a bunch of hogs from a helicopter just down the road from my place. Hardly worth the fuel I think. Didn't do hardly nothing to the population.
In Texas the helicopter hunting is a thriving business. Without a good supply of hogs this could not happen. It brings a lot of money into the area.
Years ago almost any rancher in Texas would let you hunt hogs to help keep them under control. Now almost every one of them charges 50-150 dollars a hog to hunt the properties.
And they have an endless supply of customers - those moving here in mass to escape Karlifornica and Eastcoasteritus syndrome.
Hunting properties and even full blown "hog ranches" with cabins and lodges have sprung up everywhere. This is now big business here.
Hogs are both a blessing and a curse.

Back