• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

hogs have vanished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not a waste at all, especially when you consider how much damage they do and what that damage cost a farmer. It cost $265/acre to repair damage to coastal bermuda fields.

When you have a trap full and have to get rid of them, folks will only take so many from you, you have to pile them up.

Buzzards and coyotes clean the pile up.

Rondball, that's fine but just too kill them and dump on a bone pile seems like a waste.

i don't like to throw away hogs either but those animals have nearly trashed the deer population in some areas.

For many years we field dressed, often skinned and gave away nearly every hog we caught. Then folks got picky, ordering hogs by size and sex and asking us to deliver them to the butcher shop. Only on person ever bought corn for our feeders and traps. My partner and myself had a talk and we slacked off doing that stuff, now a few families get field dressed and skinned hogs. At age 82 i have better things to.

In another county i gave some hogs to folks in the sheriff's drug court. They weren't picky, those families simply wanted meat and were willing to field dress, skin and process the animals themselves.

i gave a close friend a fat 212 pound field dressed sow. Weeks later he complained the meat was "strong tasting". The butcher shop kept the hog in a cooler for 17 days before processing the spoiled hog. The same guy allowed two elk to spoil before processing. Those guys were ready to kick the guys rear.

How far north have they migrated. I'm in Maryland. I broke my back twice and can't walk far. Would this type hunting work for me?

I finally bit the bullet and traded for a pistol I used to own, with the intention of trying to take some hogs with it. It is a Sitting Fox ..62 caliber flintlock, smoothbore. I decided I still have a lot of .600 round balls to shoot up and it might be somewhat of a challenge. As soon as I got the pistol though, the rains started and it looks like we're going to be wet for a week or more now.....so I'm going to have to wait until things dry up a bit to give it a try.

Back