• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hogs have vanished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Down in Georgia a large portion of the state is "eat up with hogs". As a teen a friend and I were roaming the bush and came upon a huge hog with outsize tusks. He was dead and dumped there likely by whomever killed him. This was probably 60 years ago or around that. I managed to extract one tusk as a souvenir and kept it for a long time. Somehow I lost it but never tried shooting one myself just to get another.

" Doubt you hunted them out of existence, they’ve got to be somewhere nearby."

Seen any Mammoths lately? :)
No matter how many you’ve killed, the pigs are aren’t “gone”...at least not for long. I’ve been down this road many times over the last 20+ years of east Texas pig infestation.
Ive been at it for 35 years steady im not just a couple time a year hunter i hunt anywhere from at least 3 to 7 times a week in this specific area they have vanished, im sure they will but averaging 100 hogs a yr off this property for 6 years in a row ive put the heat on them the surrounding area i know very well including the 14,000 alabama creek WMA we have properties north of lancaster creek to the south and both east and west of 357 and i can tell you on 30 game cameras at the moment there are no signs of hogs the neches river iss up the acorns are gone so im sure they are in the fields rooting up at the moment but my corn is is only being eaten by deer and some varmits at the moment

They there somewhere n will be back soon, I seen sign n numbers go down last couple months then boom I’ve had 40+ come in every night this week. We gonna turn the dogs loose on them in the morning. Hope we get big white hog n all the pics. Gonna be fun with all the creeks up from that 3’ rain this mornin. I’m gonna have them runnin out my ears at the ranch, we putting up 30 feeders next month and will be to hot dog hunt so if yours don’t show holler n we will hunt mine

We had some barbecued hog meat for supper tonight.
20210430_174227.jpg

it goes to supply & demand. how much pork can one person eat? does some of it go to shelters & food kitchens?

I guess that I don't know what "WOKE " is? enlighten me please.

I think he meant vermin that are bipeds.

They there somewhere n will be back soon, I seen sign n numbers go down last couple months then boom I’ve had 40+ come in every night this week. We gonna turn the dogs loose on them in the morning. Hope we get big white hog n all the pics. Gonna be fun with all the creeks up from that 3’ rain this mornin. I’m gonna have them runnin out my ears at the ranch, we putting up 30 feeders next month and will be to hot dog hunt so if yours don’t show holler n we will hunt mine
We may do that Mike went yesterday not a track anywhere on the properties around alabama creek the Neches is out of the banks all the creeks. all the fiels within 3 miles are bright green and not a hog root one. im sure once the river goes down they will be around, ive taken 4 hogs in the last 4 weeks with the matthews no cam not far from alazan bayou but cant post bow pictures here

Son over in Lee county still has a good number of hogs. And he is always scoring on them. However here in my corner of Bastrop co. havent seen many. I butchered a little shoat for my neighbor, he caught in a trap February of last year.
But haven’t had any here on the place in a number of years now. Don’t see all the roadkill I used to see either. Still seems to be ample pigs on my old copañero’s place in Blanco county.

We may do that Mike went yesterday not a track anywhere on the properties around alabama creek the Neches is out of the banks all the creeks. all the fiels within 3 miles are bright green and not a hog root one. im sure once the river goes down they will be around, ive taken 4 hogs in the last 4 weeks with the matthews no cam not far from alazan bayou but cant post bow pictures here
Ended up killing 7 had catch the dogs so as not to go on a property we didn’t have permission for n with binoculars from 700yds I counted at least 90 hogs on his place!! Creeks had them pushed out of the bottom

Stoney that there is a lot of sausage and BBQ
For years I would take the hind legs off of all of them, and the backstraps off of the larger ones. I'd clean up the legs, freeze them, and take them to a monthly shooting match and give them away. Unfortunately I've been having some medical problems lately and I've had to limit my work on things like that. I'm sure the buzzards and coyotes really appreciate my putting them in the bone pile yard ! I still find someone that wants one or two now and then, and I deliver them whole. I really need to get out to find another one pretty soon to get my count on that property to an even 800 hogs.

So you just kill them too satisfy a number, I understand they are a problem but such a waste of life too satisfy a ego. Especially when there are perhaps food banks and hungry folks.

Ego isn't a problem here, the hogs do extensive damage to property and a person has no other options such as food banks, etc.....
We have no such places around here where feral hogs are legal to use for feeding homeless people or such. I have cooked up a lot of legs myself and a lot of other hunters do also, but they can not be used for any commercial uses such as could be done with animals raised for such purposes. We currently have a fee a person can collect for killing them, but I don't bother with it. They pay 5.00 for each tail you bring them to certify you killed one.....

Ego isn't a problem here, the hogs do extensive damage to property and a person has no other options such as food banks, etc.....
We have no such places around here where feral hogs are legal to use for feeding homeless people or such.

Yeah God forbid that the animals actually be allowed by the government to be used for something good.

The government won't go out and test some slain hogs at random and tell the person shooting NOT to eat the meat..., they probably would have to admit that the meat is fine as long as you follow pork-cooking rules. BUT feed a hungry person at a shelter... a la "Hunters for The Homeless", and that would be to much like right. I mean spinach and lettuce and store-bought ground beef keeps showing up with ecoli, but them wild hogs, naw, that's too dangerous. (Besides we don't want hunting looking good in the eyes of the public, now do we?)

LD

So you just kill them too satisfy a number, I understand they are a problem but such a waste of life too satisfy a ego. Especially when there are perhaps food banks and hungry folks.
Maybe in an ideal world....... but to many landowners around here hogs are nothing more than a destructive pest, or a potential destructive pest. Landowner on a large lease I hunt wants us to kill as many as possible and has floated the idea offering a bounty in the form of a lease discount. He has quite a few acres dedicated to nurseries, and the hogs will take out years of work in a week or so when they show up. And the food banks want nothing to do with wild hogs, at least in this corner of the world.

WGI_0036.JPG

On this particular day, I had 22 hogs in this trap. I remember it well, as I had to remove and skin 44 legs on the tailgate of my pickup, take them home and clean them up and get them in the freezer. Sometimes this stuff just is a little too demanding for an old man. Lately I have not been able to do this kind of work on them, but if the doctors work things out, maybe I can get a little more done.
WGI_0036.JPG

I do understand the damage done, and also go buy the rules of if I kill it I use it, also I have given away deer that I have shot already butchered and packaged, the days of just killing was over a long time ago for this hunter. Shoot on only you can account for the waste.

Back