• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

hogs have vanished

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
After 6 years of hunting them every week taking hundreds out i can say the hogs are gone. occasionly a lone boar comes through, i actually resorted to taking my long time 70 yr old hunting buddy on a paid archery hunt for hogs. guess ill get after the turkeys when season starts. found turkeys for the first time on a wma this last weekend theyve been restocking for years first time ive seen turkeys close to me so the management of turkeys has gotten better

Not as thick with hogs here in the Carolinas as your are in Texas, but we have them. Hunt a lease in South Carolina and the passels of them move up and down a river that borders the property, disappearing for weeks or even a month or two at a time, then come back like they own the place. Doubt you hunted them out of existence, they’ve got to be somewhere nearby.

There are plenty of states where they would be overjoyed to see the hogs vacate completely. I don't believe hogs can be controlled by hunting alone; they reproduce too abundantly. But hunting is about the only practical way to try and control the population. The situation reminds me of an ugly support beam in the living room. It can't be removed and it can't be left like it is. So the only choice is to decorate it.

Wish the hogs would disappear from our area.

It's likely the sounders have found a really good food source and are hanging out there. i know of only one area where the hogs have disappeared. That happened north of the Red River in the area south and west of Grandfield, OK. Southwest OK had a devastating drought from 2010-2015. i saw numerous litters of pigs and young adults lying dead from starvation and thirst. i hunt deer in the wheat fields of that area every year and have not seen one hog since the drought.

You are too good at what you do Howard, You wiped them all out . No shortage of pigs here in Crockett. This morning haul,

Attachments

• 0FD37FDE-AA4A-4E2A-B60E-02CFB777EE6F.jpeg
    0FD37FDE-AA4A-4E2A-B60E-02CFB777EE6F.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 113
I sure wish I could get out after them again soon. Unfortunately some health problems have really made my strength go away and the doctors are running lots of tests. I have always wanted to get up to at least 1,000 of them off the one property I hunt, but my health has made me stop, at least temporarily, at 797 of them. They have slowed up moving for a while, but I know they will be back before long...

Our hog trapping has taken a nose dive. Hogs in the this area are hitting the wheat fields. i kill about one each week at a feeder.

If there's wheat fields in the area hogs will be there. Hogs will be hitting the wheat until it begins to ripen. They get a big mouthful of wheat heads, chew them up, suck the juice out then spit out the remainder. One sees the cuds lying all over the place.

Our hog trapping has taken a nose dive. Hogs in the this area are hitting the wheat fields. i kill about one each week at a feeder.

If there's wheat fields in the area hogs will be there. Hogs will be hitting the wheat until it begins to ripen. They get a big mouthful of wheat heads, chew them up, suck the juice out then spit out the remainder. One sees the cuds lying all over the place.
My neighbor used to be a paid trapper for the state of Oklahoma. He only stopped because the pay went way down and it wasn't worth it for him.

My neighbor used to be a paid trapper for the state of Oklahoma.

The feds are doing some trapping in Oklahoma.

Met a rancher who owns 1.5 miles on the north side of the Red River south of Walters. He hired out of state trappers who caught 1,500 hogs in a month. A month after the trappers departed there were as many hogs ever on his property.

The feds are doing some trapping in Oklahoma.

Met a rancher who owns 1.5 miles on the north side of the Red River south of Walters. He hired out of state trappers who caught 1,500 hogs in a month. A month after the trappers departed there were as many hogs ever on his property.
Ain't that something, holy manure.
Last year, they shot a bunch of hogs from a helicopter just down the road from my place. Hardly worth the fuel I think. Didn't do hardly nothing to the population.

it goes to supply & demand. how much pork can one person eat? does some of it go to shelters & food kitchens?
No feral hogs here in Vermont. But Burlington, Waterbury and Middlebury have plenty of "woke" vermin, but they are protected by the police.
I guess that I don't know what "WOKE " is? enlighten me please.

Back