• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hog Weights- Interesting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is true whatever the sought game or fish is. Sportsmen are prone
to embellish. Especially if the trophy is no longer at hand. Having said
that, Texas might have the biggest hogs. Everything is bigger in Texas.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Until you’ve actually weighed a few of any animal it’s really hard to even get close. I remember the first deer I ever killed. My dad had never killed one either and neither of us had even been around a dead one. We dragged that little spike buck to the road and here comes the warden. We talked for a minute and told him it was our first and that the other two guys there had shown us how to field dress it. In those days the warden carried a set of scales and would weigh and “check in” right on the spot. So he says (with a little mischief in his voice) “what do you guys think it weighs?”. We immediately guessed 125 or 150 lbs. Imagine our surprise when the scale showed a whopping 74 lbs.! 😂

I asked my hog trapper how many honest 300 lb. hogs he got in a year. He trapped every day for lots of folks and would take them to sell. He said one.

There are lots of phony photos of hogs floating around. Usually the guy that shot it is behind the hog enough in the picture to make the hog look bigger. I've shot some 300 lb. hogs, but not too often.....normally a 200 pounder is considered a pretty good sized one. Hogs are a pretty active hunting thing here in Texas !!

These were pretty good size
20040101_060102000_iOS-User-PC.jpg

This was a little bigger

20111010_150720000_iOS.jpg

Yep, for 21 years i've been a dedicated hog hunter and trapper. Wild hogs have a hard scrabble life and they don't reach the weights of domestic hogs.

1. A 250 pound wild hog is seldom encountered.

2. A 300 pound wild hog is rare to the extreme.

3. A 400 pound wild hog is nearly nonexistent.

The weight of a hog can estimated very accurately, but some measurements and calculations are in order;

1, Measure the distance from the root of the tail to between the ears.

2. Measure the heart girth in inches.

3. Square the hearth girth and multiply by the tail to ears length.

4. Divide by 400.

How to Estimate the Weight of a Hog in the Field — Scrofa

I have no problem with someone high fence hunting exotics. I shot my one and only hog that way, but you can’t compare those behind a high fence to free range hogs.

Some places that sell hunts will place hogs in a pen and feed them to get their weight up. When they have a hunter who wants a really big hog, they will turn it out for the hunter.

In Oklahoma feral hogs are considered an invasive species, no hunting license required.

For decades people in Oklahoma released wild hogs. Then the Oklahoma Dep't. of Agriculture tightened up regulations on wild hogs. Every person hunting at a hog ranch must purchase a $25 hunting permit. No new hog hunting ranches will be licensed.

A transporter of feral hogs must be licensed. Additionally, transporters of wild hogs must file for a detailed transportation permit good for 24 hours. People releasing hogs into the wild can be charged with a felony.

i know a trapper who sells large boars to hog hunting "ranches". Boars with large tusks bring $350-$500. i've given the guy a couple big boars.

Be it hogs, coyotes, or deer, apparently hunters have a hard time accurately guessing weights and they tend to over estimate weights. Old article, but good one...

Tales of giant hogs don't carry weight
I have never over judged an animals weight? There are some huge hogs in the Texas hill country! I caught a large hog and he was to heavy for the scales to weigh. I took a picture of him and the picture weighed 37 pounds! LOL!

I've had to give up my hog hunting as my health has given up....but I have killed many of them. 300 pounders were pretty scarce, but I have killed some of them before. I killed one that I think would have hit the 400 mark, but I don't have any pictures of it. If I were to figure on totals, I would guess about 1,200 or so.....but I only really kept count on one property and I ended up with 808 of them there.

Back