• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hog hunting in Alabama

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawn_c992001

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I recently have taken a job in Alabama and have left the wilds of West Virginia behind for a while. I have been researching the local hog population in Alabama and haven't really turned up much. I am in Shelby county around the town of Alabaster. Anyone have any words of wisdom to offer or need a hunting buddy? Have straight shootin' rifle with plenty of lead and powder and a good 4 wheel-drive!

Years back I hunted hogs, with much success, near Selma and South West of Greenville. Most of the hogs are located in South Alabama, although their territory is constantly expanding. Sometimes you can find folks advertising hunts in the Alabama Hunting magazine. It's a hoot and the meat is great. Good Luck on your quest.

There are two Mgt areas south of Alabaster with hogs, Oakmulgee and Coosa, with Coosa being the closest at about 30 miles away.

A quote from a wildlife magazine;

"This hog is the 175th Robert Carter has killed with a stick bow. ..... Biologist Randy Liles said Coosa WMA is one of the best areas for public-land hogs. ... Where they are right now is in the northeast quadrant of the management area"

Even when I was going to school in Tuscaloosa back in the '60s, the area around Jackson in south Alabama was "hog central". Grove Hill and south would be where I'd go. B'ham area didn't have deer or hogs back then.

I hunted a 6000 acre lease south of Selma for 23 years until 2004 and never saw a hog or signs of one.

Good luck and kill 'em all!

Supercracker said:
Eric Krewson said:
"This hog is the 175th Robert Carter has killed with a stick bow. .....

Not a good example. That guy could find pigs in a Wal Mart.

I see pigs at Wal-Mart every time I go! Both male and female, Oink, oink!.

saw some BIG hogs in the walmart on honeymoon in florida.did wonder if some of them remembered what their feet looked like :haha:

Can they be hunted year round with any weapon? I did bring my 2 45 calibers with me, one flinter and one percussion.

Typically since they're a nuisance species they're year round. They are down in Fl.

:eek:ff Dang Silky when I was 15 I spent a great year just north of you in Port Charlotte.

I lived right on the peace between 41 and I-75. They were just building the I-75 bridge and on Sundays I would sometimes canoe a mile or so up river & out to the middle to shark fish off the workers barge. They didn't work Sundays.

Alabama has some screwy laws on what weapon you can use to hunt hogs on mgt areas even though they want the hogs gone.

As soon as squirrel season opens you can hunt them with a 22(most folk use a 22 mag) or archery equipment with field tips only, (no broadheads) or with shotguns with #2 shot or smaller.

During the scheduled gun hunts you can hunt them with blackpowder, modern rifles and any archery equipment with broadheads.

Each mgt area is different and has slightly different rules. Seven Mile Island near Florence has a special black powder hog hunt season for the whole month of May.

You can sift through this site for the individual mgt area maps, rules and permits.
http://www.outdooralabama.com/hunting

Last edited by a moderator:
Good to know, thank you so much Eric. Even though they want them gone so bad they won't let you hunt them in the off season.

There's still good fishing in those parts if you ever feel like going back. But, I can't wait to get back home to Ohio.

Back