• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hog from last night

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Howie1968

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to my other set up last night, I had a couple decent boars passing through shot this boar at 18 steps my Thompson black mountain magnum 50 cal with a no excuse 600 gr bullet 90 grains of pyro p did the trick. he only went about 5 yards before piling up

Attachments

• 13619938_10208708190638957_8280295523333953882_n[1].jpg
    13619938_10208708190638957_8280295523333953882_n[1].jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 124
Congratulations Howie!
Great hog, another fine trophy and great table fair!
However, I am still waiting for the first "Big one" with the flintlock!?!

Congratulations Howie!
Great hog, another fine trophy and great table fair!
However, I am still waiting for the first "Big one" with the flintlock!?!
I need to use that flintlock more I took a hog with it already using a 460 grain no excuse bullet. haven't tried a 600 grain no excuse yet the 460 gr and 80 grains of 3F are pretty rough on the shoulder

I thought i wouldn't need anything to make sausage except spices when i shot my 1st hog... WRONG !

Unless they've found a deer feeder Those things are as lean as can be and need some fat to make proper sausage.

I've mixed deer, wild hog, & domestic hog to make some awesome sausage.

I've made friends with a butcher... now when i need to make sausage i call him and after 2 days I'll get pork fat.

I've made sausage from the biggest hogs , even cooked shoulders, hams, loin. If properly cared for , ( touching the hair or hide then touching the meat is a NO-NO), I've found size doesn't matter.

My old friend, George Wikel, thought the bigger the hog, the better the meat. He would wash the hide when he got it home, then get a bucket of soapy water, a big brush, and get the oil from the hair/ skin, before skinning. If you touched the hair then the meat he'd trim off what you touched and growl at you.

His wild hog cookouts were legendary.

I thought i wouldn't need anything to make sausage except spices when i shot my 1st hog... WRONG !

Unless they've found a deer feeder Those things are as lean as can be and need some fat to make proper sausage.

I've mixed deer, wild hog, & domestic hog to make some awesome sausage.

I've made friends with a butcher... now when i need to make sausage i call him and after 2 days I'll get pork fat.

I've made sausage from the biggest hogs , even cooked shoulders, hams, loin. If properly cared for , ( touching the hair or hide then touching the meat is a NO-NO), I've found size doesn't matter.

My old friend, George Wikel, thought the bigger the hog, the better the meat. He would wash the hide when he got it home, then get a bucket of soapy water, a big brush, and get the oil from the hair/ skin, before skinning. If you touched the hair then the meat he'd trim off what you touched and growl at you.

His wild hog cookouts were legendary.
the rule of the thumb for mr is ive got 2 hours to get the qarters off and get it on ice pull the plug on ice chest as the ice melts the blood comes out keep adding ice until it drains clear. that's why I rarely post pics of my muzzleloaders with me. ive got a couple guys who will come get any hog I kill so after I harvest I have to find hog get the guts out make a mad dash back to camp and grab a 4 wheeler or the mule get it loaded meet the guys at the gate when draining the blood off the meat tastes so much netter

That hog looks like he could be one nasty customer when angry.
Mr. Hanshi, he ha some goo cutters at the time of his killing he was the stud on my north property. Normally big boars keeps all other hogs away until a sow comes into heat, he then is tolerant of other hogs or a souner of hogs. but if another ominant boar comes through there is always a fight. I somewhat keep the balance in check. ive got a couple that I haven't been able to kill in about a year. they are 7 plus years and very intelligent. ive hunte them at one spot but game camera catches them at another one. Eventually we will cross paths. I stoppe hunting them with a bow when I got back into traditional muzzleloaing in 2016. with this forumns help ive taken around 60 hogs since ive ventured back in to muzzleloading and saved a lot of money. 1 arrow an broadhead 20.00 1 bullet powder wonder wad and cap less than 1.00

Howie,

How many acres are you hunting? It seems you have a lot more boar hogs than I do.

I have a couple of groups of hogs that have a total of 20 to 30 in them, but rarely see a boar.

When I check my cameras, I rarely see a boar on them either. I know they have to be there because of all the little ones I see.

150 acres that's it we are in the middle of Alabama Creek WMA to the backside of the north property its 6 mile hike from the forest road to our place from the west and east 2 miles but huge creeks are inbetween the east and west borders. I only take problem hogs off the north as I concentrate the hogs to the south property. west boundry is national forest east and south boundry big cattle operations with lots of hay. have 2 major creeks running through the place. ive never in 36 years of hunting them have seen so many hogs even when I turn off the feeder hogs travel through there every day to go root the farmers fields. we are about 2 miles west of the neches river its all flooded so it pushes all the hogs our way. even when the acorns drop all the hunters swarm the bottoms push the hogs right back our way. on the north I put feeder pens around protein feeders solved the hog problem. we will supplement the deer until sept 1st with protein. then after that protein feeders come out. I corn the 4 pens with about 1,000 lbs of corn a week to draw the does in for the land owner. heck I go to the north and just sit and watch deer. I quit hunting deer about 3 years ago. I do so much managing them checking cameras and watching them grow I couldn't shoot one. not even the big bucks we have. now hogs coyote bobcat coons rabbits squirrel I have no problem taking

Latest posts

Back