• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hoe Cake

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For us, it was the leftover cornbread ( soft leavened kind, not hoecake) from dinner (as in MIDDAY meal... This was SUPPER in the evening...) Crumbled in sweet (whole) milk, a satisfying and quick meal after a HARD day working for my grandparents, great-aunts, etc., during FL Panhandle summers. Thankfully, we were, by that time, a couple of generations beyond the "cooking hoecake over a fire at the edge of the field" stage, and the midday dinner was the big meal of the day...

Yeah...ours was probably leftover too, as we would generally do this primarily with breakfast.

I noticed you said dinner and supper...we always called it lunch and supper here in Tennessee. I think maybe the word "dinner" denotes the prime meal, (as you said). good memories...

1637101847978.png

This one makes
Doughnuts

Jim in La Luz
😎

My family is from Maine and NH with a brief stint in MA cause of the depression.
We always had corn bread with the beans on Saturday night. lived in a three story tenement. Gram and Bampa on the first floor, my family on the second and my unckles family on the third floor.

The meal was communal and all the family met on our floor for supper. The corn bread always had hot peppers in it either cherry or jalapenos not your sweet want syrup with it kind.

You boys on the east coast know how to eat right!
Honestly, haven grown up in the west I had never heard of a Hoe Cake untill a few years ago when my wife took me to a place called Ash & Barrel. Turned out their big trade mark was Hoe Cakes.
My wife being from Oklahoma and was surprised I never heard of it.
This place has an always changing Menue of Hoe Cakes and the write on them suggest to "Always ask your waiter for the owner likes to experiment and there is always a Hoe Cake not yet listed".
There they made them in little baby cast iron spider skillets and they cranked them out from opening to closing, bringing them to your table still sizzling in the skillet!
Cant remember all the different ones I tried but never had one I didn't like.
Kinda like Abelskeiver they can be made for breakfast, lunch, or super all depending on how you make them.

After reading through this thread, I have learned to make Abelsvivers now i gotta try my hand at some Hoe Cake!

Back