• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

'Hobbit gun'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
could these monster guns ever be shot with a charge of lead in them? I realize if so, it would have to be with a much reduced charge.

An early English Matchlock Fowler with German fittings and floral style carvings Accented with gold inlay. Runes as well, of course, names of those who had owned it

Well, I started on a 'hobbit' gun, had a piece of 20ga single shot shotgun barrel breech 11 inches long and cut a full stock for it out of walnut. I breeched it with a flint style plug and threaded a drum in place with a #11 nipple. Inletted the barrel and started shaping the stock similar to a trade gun with a long wrist. Chiseled away wood on both sides of the comb area to get an idea of how it would look. I have a small back action percussion lock I want to use and will inlet it next. No pictures, I have to get my daughter to do things like that. It does kind of look like a small blunderbuss, if I can fit a piece of heavy pipe on the muzzle end and shape it. We'll see. The pull is about 12 1/2 inches. Overall about 26-27 inches. My wife said it's 'cute' but that's a four letter word.

Well, I started on a 'hobbit' gun, had a piece of 20ga single shot shotgun barrel breech 11 inches long and cut a full stock for it out of walnut. I breeched it with a flint style plug and threaded a drum in place with a #11 nipple. Inletted the barrel and started shaping the stock similar to a trade gun with a long wrist. Chiseled away wood on both sides of the comb area to get an idea of how it would look. I have a small back action percussion lock I want to use and will inlet it next. No pictures, I have to get my daughter to do things like that. It does kind of look like a small blunderbuss, if I can fit a piece of heavy pipe on the muzzle end and shape it. We'll see. The pull is about 12 1/2 inches. Overall about 26-27 inches. My wife said it's 'cute' but that's a four letter word.
I know I’m digging up an old thread, but I curious how it turned out? Do you have any pictures?

I know I’m digging up an old thread, but I curious how it turned out? Do you have any pictures?
Barrel, lock and trigger inletted and functional. Mostly shaped like a small trade gun with a really short barrel. Still considering carving and inlays, it seems that the hobbits would want a plain, functional gun with a strap for carrying. Considering a deeply checkered/homegrown style wrist and thicker than normal floral carving on the buttstock, in an amateur backwoods shire style. Gun feels good in the hands. So far so good, LOL. Frodo Lives!

A bit of carved map, copied from The Hobbit, on the stock could be cool. Could run from the Shire to the Lonely Mountain.
Daryl, that's a great idea! My brother (with all the talent) once made a large powder horn with a map of East Texas of 1845 expanded and illuminated on it. It was a work of art. Just don't expect the same level of beauty on my stuff, LOL!

Latest posts

Back