• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

'Hobbit gun'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron Griffie, who owned Deathwind Rifle Works made some outlandishly peculiar guns. I remember a skeleton thumbhole wooden stock that he made. Painted bright metal flake green. Barrel started standerd octagon and about 7 inches out was turned round and turned down to the barest minimum barrel wall thickness and at about 24 inches the barrel was left with just enough meat on it to dovetail a huge shaded front post sight.

I try really hard to set up an hc camp.
But we have to have a chuckle at times.
I had a Townsend calendar that had one photo of John or his father James in colonial outfit riding a motor scooter

What the hell is the purpose of the HUGE Italian blunderbuss? I will admit to wanting one.....

What the hell is the purpose of the HUGE Italian blunderbuss? I will admit to wanting one.....
According to a bit of web digging I found those are called, "Trombini". They were originally mounted on ramparts and used as wall guns. They also could be used as a siege gun to batter down doors and gates.

Are these things factory made, or custom made? I guess they have to pass proof testing there?

WOW, and when I watched them the HOBBIT GUNS being shot, they were indeed being shot by REAL HOBBITS!!

how about WOW type guns? looks HC to me LOL

Attachments

• DwarfHunter.jpg
    DwarfHunter.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 110
This thread is awesome. Most of y'all already went with first thought - short smoothbore. So, just for something different:

What about a small caliber small-game rifle. Of course rabbits and such can be brought in with a smoothie, but if this is something maybe picked up on an adventure....

A mid-30's caliber barrel made by the elves (with elvish engraving), a small flintlock and hardware made by the dwarves, and stocked in figured wood by a gunsmith in Dale - a cousin of Bard, perhaps. Some inlays made from salvaged coins from Smaug's horde.

Or something that would have been very understated and simple but elegant - made in one of the armories of Gondor for the Stewards son - with silver wire inlay and tasteful carving. Clearly something for the wealthy but not ostentatious.

A couple of thoughts about this thread.

All of the guns people are talking about are muzzleloaders.

The Craftsman section is about things our members might want to build or for showing the things they have made and helping others make things.

The Craftsman section is not in the reenacting area where historical things matter. If this thread was in the reenacting area, I would have moved it elsewhere a long time ago.

I thought about moving it to the Gun Builder's Bench but I figure since we are talking about a make believe gun, from a make believe time and place, it won't really fit in an area that deals with serious questions and answers about building traditional guns.

Almost everyone needs a place where they can relax and have a little fun from time to time and from the responses I've seen in this thread, that's exactly what people are doing here.

If this thread goes off track and starts talking about modern guns, politics, religion or modern events, I'll close it in an instant.

Have fun. :thumb:

I am not a hobbit fan but was doing some thinking after reading the posts, maybe a 20-25 in. duck foot blunderbuss type of shoulder gun, brass barrels of course configured so when shot all 3 barrels go off at the same time. That way when the orcs or what ever they are called attack, the hobbit fellows could take out a few with one shot. We really have too get out more.

I am not a hobbit fan but was doing some thinking after reading the posts, maybe a 20-25 in. duck foot blunderbuss type of shoulder gun, brass barrels of course configured so when shot all 3 barrels go off at the same time. That way when the orcs or what ever they are called attack, the hobbit fellows could take out a few with one shot. We really have too get out more.
Wow! Thinking outside the box! Three brass barrels would be heavy, but with a sling? It would make a hell of a duck gun, drive the wardens nuts! Can one barrel be fired alone with the others empty? That would make for a more useful trail food tool. Thanks for your input, and where can I get some of that Old Toby your smoking? LOL!

Wow! Thinking outside the box! Three brass barrels would be heavy, but with a sling? It would make a hell of a duck gun, drive the wardens nuts! Can one barrel be fired alone with the others empty? That would make for a more useful trail food tool. Thanks for your input, and where can I get some of that Old Toby your smoking? LOL!

I once came across a sort of poacher gun. It looked like a single barrel break open shot gun, but the tube had 7 - 22 RF bores drilled and rifled into one solid tube. All went off with one pull of the trigger. Then a about 20 years later I ran into a single round muzzle loader barrel with three .75 smooth bores drilled into it. The normal construction people think of, is to utilize separate barrels banded together. It is possible to have multiple bores in a single barrel.

ARE, SCHUCKS! BTW, where did you ever find these monsters? thanks for posting!
One of my interests that skirts the edge of traditional muzzle loading is salute guns. Thunder mugs, cannons, hand held such as prangerstutzen, and shaft boller, the short barrelled like handboller and in visiting a German web site about a boller club, there were a couple pictures of the Italian Trombini and a link to their site, as well as pictures and a link to the Pistonieri, a sort of muzzle loading precision drill team complete with band. They put on shows in parades and at soccer "half times" Pistonieri Santa Maria Del Rovo. The had been one group of exhibition salute gun shooters in the midwest somewhere, but their web site has been defunct for about 10 years. At one time they midwest group put on shows to open festivals and celebrations. I met one of the members 30 years ago. He had a cannon that he used to launch a pound or two of penny candy out into an open lawn area for kids to have a candy scramble. (kids of course not allowed on the lawn until the cannon went off.)

Back