• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

'Hobbit gun'

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Treestalker

Treestalker
Reaction score
What do you think a 'hobbit gun' would look like? That is to say one designed by the wee folk? Flint, percussion or? Small, smoothbore, stock style? Lets see your Ideas. I want to build something for one of my grand kids to inherit who has an infatuation with Middle Earth and the little people. Stranger the better! I would like to use my 30" tapered oct. 9mm smoothbore barrel with an old small back action percussion lock. I was going to build an English garden gun, but thought it would be fun to create a Shire inspired version! Frodo lives!

Last edited:
What do you think a 'hobbit gun' would look like? That is to say one designed by the wee folk? Flint, percussion or? Small, smoothbore, stock style? Lets see your Ideas. I want to build something for one of my grand kids to inherit who has an infatuation with Middle Earth and the little people. Stranger the better! I would like to use my 30" tapered oct. 9mm smoothbore barrel with an old small back action percussion lock. I was going to build an English garden gun, but thought it would be fun to create a Shire inspired version! Frodo lives!
Well first off you have to build a hobbit hole. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and oozy smells, but a dry, comfortable hobbit-hole with a warm fire.

If you could get good flints and barrels from the dwarves and quality sights from the elves I would go for a flintlock jaegerish rifle, .62 with browned furniture and a highly figured maple stock with elven runes carved into the wood.
I have a used deeply swamped .50 cal. Rice barrel at could be doctored into a sweeping, curvy stock with inlays of Shire coins and appropriate carvings and viney wire inlays! Thank you for your ideas!

Last edited:
I’d go with a smoothbore, classic early 19th century fowler. Fruitwood stocked (a nod to the Shire’s orchards) flintlock (Hobbits don’t go in for newfangled things) with that diamond carving (not checquering) at the wrist that has the tiny metal pins inlaid in each diamond. I’d use bronze instead of brass for the furniture.
Jay

A Jezail carbine or late Matchlock like this one but for kids not a matchlock. Matchlock carbine.jpg

Whatever you build it will need a lot of aging. The Shirefolk tend to keep things for a long time and hand them down to family so their things are well used, in good repair and show wear. A fancy brass patchbox with Runes would be appropriate.

As good Hobbits never have any adventures or do anything unexpected, I would say a Smoothbore Schimmel with an 18” barrel that glows blue when Orcs are near....
Only elven stuff glows blue.
What about belches smoke and flame whenever it wants?

OOps thats a dragon.

It'd have to be a fowler though. We are talking farm folk.

Any self respecting Hobbit builder would obviously source their barrels from Rivendell Barrels, LLC....;)
So true. So true
Just so happens I have a Peter Lyons Sword (the swordmaker for Lord of the Rings) and I can put my hand on my heart and say that it has always glowed blue when orcs approached. A very handy attribute I must say. Just need mithril now and a dragon.

I would go smoothbore, flint with a 34” barrel so the overall gun was roughly the same length as the Hobbit is tall. Likely in the 28 gauge range. Fancy carving but not anything elvish, more vines and plant based (hobbits are growers and love all things plants). Roman nose on the buttstock, wood butt plate and wood patch box.
Walk

I still vote for something as a Paget Cavalry Carbine it would rifle size for a hobbit and would have been found/acquired probably from an Elf. Actually this thread makes me want to build one too. I have an extra Lyman musketoon with a bad percussion lock I wonder if I can fit an L&R replacement flint to it and then maybe add a brass tube sight make a real Fantasy Flintlock.

Latest posts

Back