• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

HMS Victory Fires Full Broadside!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I visited HMS Victory a couple years ago, and sure enjoyed the tour!

Here she is showing firepower! Must have really been something to be at sea getting shot at with this many a cannon!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiRbJRNKyv8[/youtube]

They seem to be firing one at a time to protect the old timbers of the ship. Can you imagine what a simultaneous broadside would have looked like?

Many Klatch

Spectacular and with that many guns firing in that manner the first fired would just about be reloaded and ready to go again. :hatsoff:

Here is a couple of pics of me on the gun decks!

Seems like cannon as far as you can see!

Picture046.jpg

Picture031.jpg

in this film did they fire the actual guns with a charge of gunpowder, or is pyro used?

Looks like you were sitting on the middle deck.
Then they must be 24 pdr.
Can you imagine the sight of all the ships-of-the-line at the Trafalgar Battle?

The floor of lower decks were traditionally painted red to hide the blood. :shocked2:
:hatsoff:

undertaker said:
The floor of lower decks were traditionally painted red to hide the blood. :shocked2:

Hmmm, does that mean the lower decks of french ships were painted brown? :rotf:

undertaker said:

Actually, they may be heavier than that. The HMS Victory, which sank in 1744 and was recently re-discovered, had 110 bronze guns. At least, one of her guns was a 42 pounder.

Article on Times Online

Chinese paper online and in english with Cannon photos

cp.gif

Mule Brain said:
Here is a couple of pics of me on the gun decks!

Seems like cannon as far as you can see!

Picture046.jpg

Picture031.jpg

All the work they did to replicate that ship with everything historically accurate and they go and stick an awful green and white sticker on it, for your safety. :shake: :youcrazy:

Aw gee, and here I thought that Exit sticker was authentic. I was getting ready to try and find the provenance for it.

Many Klatch :rotf: :bull:

Claypipe said:
undertaker said:

Actually, they may be heavier than that. The HMS Victory, which sank in 1744 and was recently re-discovered, had 110 bronze guns. At least, one of her guns was a 42 pounder.

Article on Times Online

Chinese paper online and in english with Cannon photos

cp.gif

HMS Victory
13.12.1758 Ordered by Prime Minister Pitt
23.07.1759 Keel laid at Catham
3.12.1760 Named Victory by order of Navy Office

Guns 1759
Lower deck 30 guns of 42 pounds
Middle deck 28 guns of 24 pounds
Upper deck 30 guns of 12 pounds
Quarterdeck 10 guns of 6 pounds
Forecastle 2 guns of 6 pounds

Total 100

At Trafalgar 1805
Lower deck 30guns of 32 pounds
Middle deck 28 guns of 24 pounds
Upper deck 30 guns of 12 pounds
Quarterdeck 12 ghuns of 12 pounds
Forecastle 2 guns of 12 pounds
Forecastle 2 carrs of 68 pounds

Total 104

The 100-gun ship Victory by John McKay

Mule Brain, you had your hands on some of the cannon when you toured the HMS Victory; in your opinion were the guns made of iron or had they been replaced by fiberglass replicas?

:bow: Many thanks to you for sharing that firing sequence and the pictures. My daughter and me will be going to the UK this July and hope to visit the ship. You know I figured you to be an old foof, Surprise!!!!! :rotf: ---nice pix and thanks, once again. Great History of a great ship--- :hatsoff:

I bet when they fired that volley the town of Portsmith surrendered!!!
I have seen a live round of grapeshot fired out of a 12 pounder before. The smoke and fire on the
video was paultry compared to the live round. BUT
we are talking about a national treasure of England. There is no need to shake the timbers!

Imagine the firepower of the British and French fleets!! I bet you couldn't see anything with all that black powder smoke!

:thumbsup:

The cast iron guns that used to be on the Victory are now at Fort Ticonderoga.

Many Klatch

Back