• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hiya from Slovakia, Europe!! :)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hahahaha.....yes, the beer and fish 'n chips!! I was twice in the states during my Navy days, New York and Fort Lauderdale. I remember first trying the American hot dog in New York and I think it was called a Cuban sandwich in Lauderdale. Amazing.....both of them!!! Great memories.

Hi everyone, I'm from England, but now live in Slovakia.
I recently purchased a Baker Rifle from TRS. Fabulous!!! It took me over a year to assemble it, but the finished product is a dream. A few ignition problems at first, but White Lightning fixed it. Now I get the real 'flash, bang' instead of 'flash, panic'!!!!
I'm looking forward to reading all of your exploits! :)
My son 46 married a girl from Slovacia

Hiya good folks!
Thank you all so much for your warm welcome..........I think there is something magical about guns that forms a common link, regardless of country!
Hopefully I've managed to upload some pics, but I'm not the greatest photographer or computer buff, so it's all a bit hit and miss for me!
The Baker was always a dream of mine. I belong to a Masonic Lodge called the Bloomsbury Rifles (I'm a Royal Navy man myself) and the Lodge is attached to the Bloomsbury Rifles Regiment, which was part of the Queen's Rifles, which was part of the Victoria Rifles Regiment which were originally known as........yup, the 95th Rifles Regiment, which totally destroyed Napoleon's Imperial Guard at the Battle of Waterloo, their first defeat. And they did it with the Baker rifle.
After much searching and research into the rifle I finally found The Rifle Shoppe, in the good ol' US of A! Don't believe a word you hear about TRS, they are fantastic! Jane and Jesse are wonderful folk who did everything possible to fulfill my dream.
But beware anyone buying a kit. The kit is absolutely accurate in every detail, but it comes very rough, everything must be machined and worked to fit. So unless you are a skilled metalworker, machinist, gunsmith, blacksmith and carpenter, with the appropriate workshop, you'll be best to do as I did, farm out the tricky bits to an expert. The lock must also be hardened and tempered to the correct tolerance otherwise your frizzen and main springs will snap. The sling was made from the correct original design for the early 19th century version. I decided on the sword bayonet as that was what was used at Waterloo. After Waterloo, the rifles were adapted to receive the triangular, lug bayonet.
Anyway, without further ado, the pics, please forgive the quality!!!
Hello again I made this rifle up in 1973. .625 rifled bore and a 1810 late east India company stronger Bess lock same as the 1810-20 baker rifle I have never thought it could be say an officers baker rifle but looks the part never fired it. Yrs I thought that’s interesting. I was making it more German at the time It sparks realy well. Perhaps I should add more brass

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Son David and wife Katarena from Slovakia. , he’s says I am European not English Kids !!!

Attachments

• 24AB0872-3732-4EDF-B3B8-C3FB3CBC6992.jpeg
    24AB0872-3732-4EDF-B3B8-C3FB3CBC6992.jpeg
    533.7 KB · Views: 0
The East India Companies Bakers series lock wasn't adopted till 1818 nor did any Baker have an Oct barrel . Minor details 'Officers model? Oh yes bound to be. Dream on. Maybe you should add more reality & not worry about the brass so much .

Rudyard

The East India Companies Bakers series lock wasn't adopted till 1818 nor did any Baker have an Oct barrel . Minor details 'Officers model? Oh yes bound to be. Dream on. Maybe you should add more reality & not worry about the brass so much .

Rudyard
Have you nothing pleasant to say Rudyard I know it’s not a baker and it’s inert but it has a genuine stronger Bess lock from around 1810 to 1820 I could put an older Swan neck action on it The guy at Dorking usually has a couple of Bakers around £4.5k. Your comments accepted

Happy to meet
Sorry to part
But happy to meet again

Having said that Baker prices seem to be hitting £7000 now a good investment (why underlined no reason ???) Being a double rifle man , lived in Africa, I had little interest in the military Baker.at one time I thought it evolved from the Jäger rifle the Baker brass trigger guard stands out but it seems to be used on a few other rifles. Probably like yourself I was shooting on farms back in 1956
Today I collect at Holts last one a Rielly .6 cape rifle £860. Most I spent at Bonhams was £5200 for a 450-400 double. I do miss Holts no longer having London auctions is a pain I sometimes drive up to se Nick and Alex but it’s a 400m Round trip in wifes Z3.

Today is shoot my garden 50 and 80 yard range it with bsa Scorpio pcp rifles , it keeps me happy and out shoots my shotguns. I take my compound bow to France but In three trips and 5000 miles not seen a single hog

I wish you well Ps Always show impressive Forages castle France to those across the pond

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FDB9D845-5276-488C-9E86-AE4F3FA6652D.jpeg
    FDB9D845-5276-488C-9E86-AE4F3FA6652D.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
  • C30B7A0E-9082-4460-AA59-4C7D55589FCF.jpeg
    C30B7A0E-9082-4460-AA59-4C7D55589FCF.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 535E51AC-26B8-4955-82B4-654D7153F743.jpeg
    535E51AC-26B8-4955-82B4-654D7153F743.jpeg
    290.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 066122B2-5650-4E58-927D-CEB43AE54348.jpeg
    066122B2-5650-4E58-927D-CEB43AE54348.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 0
  • F571F983-8323-4EA6-8CF9-D7CFC2792167.jpeg
    F571F983-8323-4EA6-8CF9-D7CFC2792167.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Hahahaha.....yes, the beer and fish 'n chips!! I was twice in the states during my Navy days, New York and Fort Lauderdale. I remember first trying the American hot dog in New York and I think it was called a Cuban sandwich in Lauderdale. Amazing.....both of them!!! Great memories.
I had an offer to go aboard the Ark Royal by a Chief Petty Officer and drink a yard of ale. Like a dummy I didn't take him up on the offer.

Rudyard
From Maine USA

Give Joan my best wishes for her health. That rifle does bare a strong resemblance to a Baker rifle, you may have something interesting going on with it.

Rudyard
Rudyard there are baker rifles and baker rifles some bespoke ones were produced with octagonal barrels etc

Object Title

Flintlock muzzle-loading rifle - By Baker​

Date
Object Number
XII.241
Provenance
Old Tower Collection
Physical Description
The lockplate is flat with a bevelled edge and measures 5 3/8th x 1 in. the tail terminating in a long point and having two grooves cut across it. The detachable iron pan is facetted and made without a bridle. The steel is rounded on top and the steel spring has a long tear-drop finial with a ball at the end. The swan neck cock is flat with a bevelled edge and the broad facetted comb curls inwards at the tip. There are no external markings.
Stocked to the muzzle the barrel retained by two pins and the upper sling loop screw which is just behind the brass fore-end cap. Brass furniture includes fore-cap with a groove in underside for the rod, two flared mouth rod pipes and a barrel shaped tailpipe with spear-point finial, brass guard and deeply curved grip, and triple spiked finials (see also XII- 2313). The lower sling loop is screwed through the front of the guard. The buttplate is broad and flat and the tang is flat-fronted with five flats. The rear of the sliding wooden butt-trap cover has a brass face. The rounded sideplate is of a pattern otherwise peculiar to Danish rifles of the early 1790s but this rifle does not conform to the specifications. Raised cheekrest on the left side of the butt. The fore-end is moulded along either side of the ramrod channel, and the lock, barrel tang and sideplate flat are carved very much in the Prussian style with broad teardrop terminations. The iron ramrod has a brass head, following the form of the rod and the throat behind the brass is slotted. There is rod-retaining spring rivetted the tailpipe.
The barrel is full octagonal and slightly swamped at the muzzle. A long bayonet bar is brazed to the right side at the muzzle with a locking notch at the front in the exact style of the Baker rifle. The foresight is a low brass blade dovetailed into the barrel. The backsight is a notched block with one leaf hinged forward not graduated and dovetailed into the barrel 6.5 in from the breech. Plastic tags with 532 and 658
Techniques
Engraved
Materials
Ferrous metal, Wood
Dimensions
BarrelLength29.75 in.
BarrelLength756 mm
OverallLength44 in.
OverallLength1118 mm
OverallWeight3.62 kg
OverallWeight8 lb
Firearms/Artillery
Serial NumberNone visible
Calibre
.63 in
Inscriptions and Marks
Lock with SN and XXVII underneath butt
?
N.706
Top flat near muzzle
Engraved
?
Sun mark
Left flat at the breech
Stamped
Associations
Placesnetherlands/Europe
Notes
These rifles do not appear to be any of the regulation patterns in use by the recognised powers at the end of the 18th century although conforming to several in various particulars of style and finish. It is posssible in view of several in the Tower (see XII - 240, 242, 243) that they may have been made for the Hereditary Prince of Orange's Dutch Corps since 1,012 of rifles were paid for by the Ordnanace provided a dozen patterns were lodged in the Tower. They may have been made for some unidentified corps in British service during the 1793-1800 period or even for one of the Dutch Freicorps of the mid-1780's who armed themselves

Latest posts

Back