Quantcast

History of this carving set - Battle axe brand

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Pippoca03

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hello,

my first post here and I hope this is the right forum for get some help!

i have this carving set that has been given as a gift from my dad. Just wondering the history of it as I can’t find a lot of information about it.

what I think I know about it:
Carbon steel carving set, with stag horn handles and silver finials.

probably made in America during the civil war by the brand Battle Axe around 1800, or it could be German...

anyone familiar with it?
I’d really appreciate your help! Thank you 😊

Attachments

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello,

my first post here and I hope this is the right forum for get some help!

i have this carving set that has been given as a gift from my dad. Just wondering the history of it as I can’t find a lot of information about it.

what I think I know about it:
Carbon steel carving set, with stag horn handles and silver finials.

probably made in America during the civil war by the brand Battle Axe around 1800, or it could be German...

anyone familiar with it?
I’d really appreciate your help! Thank you 😊
An offhand guess would be turn of the century (early 1900s). I can only make out the word "Steel" on the blade.

mushka

36 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I can't help you with who or when it was made but sharpen it up and use it. It's a uniquely beautiful set. I'm a knife and cutlery freak.

kje54

45 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you- it says ‘shear steel’ :)
The difficulty in identifying the set is in the Battle Axe Brand. There was an older Battle Axe Cutlery co. where the knives/sets were either made for or by A.R. Justice, a Philadelphia hardware wholesaler circa 1877-1937 who turned to cutlery production or importation and silversmithing. His are thought by many to be imported from Stolingen Germany. There is also a newer Battle Axe Brand, circa 1975-1990 thought to have been made by the Frederich Olbertz factory in Solingen but definitely made in Stolingen.

Pippoca03

32 Cal
Reaction score
The difficulty in identifying the set is in the Battle Axe Brand. There was an older Battle Axe Cutlery co. where the knives/sets were either made for or by A.R. Justice, a Philadelphia hardware wholesaler circa 1877-1937 who turned to cutlery production or importation and silversmithing. His are thought by many to be imported from Stolingen Germany. There is also a newer Battle Axe Brand, circa 1975-1990 thought to have been made by the Frederich Olbertz factory in Solingen but definitely made in Stolingen.
Exactly! Thank you for that, I did a bit more digging and just found some images of cutlery with the same logo by the Battle Axe Cutlery co (attached a screenshot)
Really hard to find more information about this brand or A.R. justice

87E1FE28-7A30-422B-AE40-8FA8C74A1F66.png

So one mistery is solved :)

I guess now it’s understanding when it was made and specific materials!

toot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
seams that all affluent house holds had a set. you find them in flea markets & antique shops, from time to time.

Reaction score
Do not know about the battle axe brand but I have a nice set made by Russel.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jaeger

40 Cal.
Reaction score
You say Stolingen.....I say Solingen......

Latest posts