• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

History of hunting from trees

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
A lot of today's big game hunters -- especially bow and muzzleloader hunters in whitetail deer states -- put tree stands to very good use to ensure harvest and hunting success. But it occurred to me that I really don't know a thing about the history of this hunting strategy. We know that Civil War snipers used trees to good advantage to gain a better view of targets and conceal their firing places, and that British hunters in Africa and India shot from trees or elevated "machans" (think "The Ghost and the Darkness").
But I cannot recall reading any historical descriptions of American deer hunters shooting from trees -- or more specifically from elevated platforms. Anyone have any sources from the 19th century or earlier?

I have not read of it specifically. Though as said WTBS snipers knew to do it and I think the Murphy shot at Saratoga was from a tree, certainly learned it some where.
They hunted over stag hounds, and flashed deer from canoes at night.
I THINK it got to be a thing with bow hunters, as they wanted ranges short, then it moved in to the gun community

to ensure harvest and hunting success.
Lmao 🤣 😂 😆 🤣
"Ensure" ?!?!?! 😆😂🤣

Seriously though. I'm not 100% certain of the history here either. I do vaguely recall reading about natives standing on large branches to shoot down at game, but I'm not positive this was a researched thing with documentable evidence, or just conjecture.
I'm also not certain how viable it would have been pre-contact or in very early Colonial New England. The forests here at the time of contact and for many years after were old growth and reported to have little understory. This is part of the reason given for native bows in this area being rather long and narrow. They were not hunting from horses or through thick underbrush necessitating shorter bows. Instead slipping through forests of tall straight hardwoods unless in the pines. So, how many low, large enough, branches were there to hunt from?

I once shot a buck that had a couple of black wads of scar tissue on his back. It seems an arrow came from and elevated stand. When it hit it never penetrated into the vitals but went under the hide and skidded out through the second wound. The shooter obviously shot too high.

There is a local inch thick , 5" by 7" soft cover book circulating in stores in northern Potter Co. , Pa.. The title is "50 Yrs. A Hunter".....Circa 1800 to around 1850. The author was the hunter , and starts out by telling of hunting from a tree , over a baited lick. As a kid on his first hunt , he was with some other fellows and all waited until very late day , and disbursed to their various hunt spots. The young hunter was in his tree , looking down , and a large dark shape came to the lick. Though it was quite dark , the shape was very close , when he shot from the tree. He killed a black bear , on his first deer hunt............oldwood

in 1919 my father killed a bear at a lick in Wisconsin. he used a muzzleloading shot gun and shot from a treestand belonging to my mothers people. they had been using it for hundreds of years. he told of the size of the maple tree being 3 double arm lengths around with a lower branch one could sleep on.

There is a local inch thick , 5" by 7" soft cover book circulating in stores in northern Potter Co. , Pa.. The title is "50 Yrs. A Hunter".....Circa 1800 to around 1850. The author was the hunter , and starts out by telling of hunting from a tree , over a baited lick. As a kid on his first hunt , he was with some other fellows and all waited until very late day , and disbursed to their various hunt spots. The young hunter was in his tree , looking down , and a large dark shape came to the lick. Though it was quite dark , the shape was very close , when he shot from the tree. He killed a black bear , on his first deer hunt............oldwood
The book is available on Amazon in both real book form and as an E-book for Kindle.

Thanks Brokennock. I loaned my copy out , and the book didn't get back yet. Another great book is "44 Yrs. A Hunter" , by , Meshack Browning. He lived and hunted just west of Cumberland , MD.. , and eventually ran a grist flower mill in Friendsville , MD. 'Bout 20 yrs. ago , I went there , and found his burial place. His life story is priceless information. I grew up about an hour west of there , and so hunted and fished near there. ......oldwood

Brother has a wolf rug and bleached skull from a wolf he got many years ago. If you look in the skull from the rear you can see a 3-blade broadhead that pierced between the eyes area. Feeling the top of the skull and close examination of that same area shows just the slightest hint of a thread. Rest is all 100% healed over. Strangest thing ever!!
Walk

Brother has a wolf rug and bleached skull from a wolf he got many years ago. If you look in the skull from the rear you can see a 3-blade broadhead that pierced between the eyes area. Feeling the top of the skull and close examination of that same area shows just the slightest hint of a thread. Rest is all 100% healed over. Strangest thing ever!!
Walk
My mistake, memory ain’t what it once was. Asked him to send me some pictures. Here they are….

Attachments

• 5F08F108-8372-427F-A25B-31437231C17F.jpeg
    5F08F108-8372-427F-A25B-31437231C17F.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 6FBDF3BC-1543-4BD8-A3CE-98F581008B3E.jpeg
    6FBDF3BC-1543-4BD8-A3CE-98F581008B3E.jpeg
    133.2 KB · Views: 0
  • B692AEC3-851F-4127-B1A6-455F230DF916.jpeg
    B692AEC3-851F-4127-B1A6-455F230DF916.jpeg
    160.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 9C901907-74C0-461D-A390-D3528BB91F8A.jpeg
    9C901907-74C0-461D-A390-D3528BB91F8A.jpeg
    64.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a reprint of “Camp Life In The Woods” by W. Hamilton Gibson originally published in 1881.

Most of the book discusses trapping but a short article on deer hunting where the Author mentions using salt calling it a “deer lick” and placing it where deer are known to travel on a smooth rock or in a hollow log. Then the hollow log could be placed in a hole in the ground. The hunter then hides himself in a nearby tree, sometimes on a bench or in a scaffolding for comfort.

The author was told by hunters that deer rarely look higher than their head and you can get by with extra movement and not be noticed.

I shortened it and changed a bit of wording leaving the meat and potatoes. I’m not really looking for copyright issues.

Last edited:
Talk about tree stand craziness. I was hunting buck season only , out of a Tree Lounge climber stand at about 30 feet above the ground. Shortly after light , six does came down the trail I was above , and stopped . After three days of camp food , gas was abundant , and I let rip to see if the noise had any effect on the does . They stood stock still w/ all eyes riveted on the camo mass up the maple tree ,above them. Then just walked under me and disappeared in the thicket. You never know what pearl of wisdom might prevail , if experimentation happens.

Yes they look up, especially if you make a noise or movement. I dont tree hunt, its not the fall but the landing that taught me years back, just dont bounce like I used to. 🤣

If you are hunting for food to live, you use any method that gives you the easiest chance of securing your next meal, be it hunting from elevations, fire-hunting at night, pitfalls, snares or anything else. Our generation is not the inventors of any new form of hunting only improvements in the technology in making one more successful.

BTW, hunting from above is the surest way to insure that another human does not get injured or killed.

Latest posts

Back