• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

History of Flintlocks and Percussion Weapons

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually there are quite a few books out there.

The Kentucky Rifle
by Dillon, The Flintlock, It's Origin and Development by Torsten Lenk, The Muzzleloading Caplock Rifle by Ned Roberts, Hints to Riflemen by HWS Clevland, are all good, and for info on Confederate weapons its hard to beat Firearms of the Confederacy by Claude E. Fuller lots of actual period documents in that one.

Many, many more out there too.

Hi,
For recently published books, "Firearms an Illustrated History" by DK is a good choice. The photography is great and the coverage broad. "Gunpowder" by Kelley is a nice easy romp through the history of black powder although there are other more scholarly but less entertaining books on the same subject. Older books that are good and mostly up to date are Dudley Popes "Guns", Merrill Lindsay's "100 Great Guns", and Peterson's "Treasury of the Gun".

dave

The Age of Firearms by Robert Held is very good. It’s generalized so not in depth in every style. And full of English Humor. It covers mostly European firearms. American guns are mostly last third. Written in the 1950s it’s not all ‘up to date’ but I’ve not seen anything that as an ‘in general rule’ has been contradicted by more in-depth studies. And there is a lot of good photos and illustrations. It covers from cr 1300-1900.

Thanks I found Torsten Lenk's book tonight on ebay very good condition $28. I see another 'very good' copy on amazon for $900, LOL !

Back