• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Historicly correct

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Delivery is exactly it. I respect the paper punchers on the pistol forum, what they have accomplished, their competition wins, and the knowledge they want to share. I can learn from it and I understand they have quite a bit of it

What I don’t respect is their utter lack, when delivering that information, of comprehension that not everyone wants to emulate them. It’s not that the others are wrong on how they develop an accurate but wrong for not wanting to develop the most accurate load

It is "right" because it is what those living at the time wrote/painted/made/recorded. I am promoting their viewpoint. And if you don't care, why do you keep posting as if you do...?"

I care about the sport, which you seem to endorse as religion. You care about converting others to your religion. A lot of us react to your self-assured (too self assured) preaching as a turn off. As an educator, you should not teach personal views as the only way. It's what's wrong with the education system.

“Say someone posts their thoughts about buying a .36 cap & ball. Someone else posts that a .44 is more powerful & better for defense. The original poster did not ask about a .44. Self defense was possibly not a concern (we don't know because it wasn't mentioned one way or the other). The post about a .44 is factual (a .44 IS morepowerful). The post re a .44 is not a"personal attack" but merely an observation & relaying of information that whether of useto the original poster or not, may be ofinterest to a number of OTHER members”

Unless he posts that the OP shouldn’t have bought a 36 because 44’s are better

I know I do non historicaly accurate things, my 36 caliber Walker was theoretically possible in the 1850’s but I wouldn’t argue anyone ever made one, but let’s not toss the fun out of the equation. Plus it is a learning experience for me shooting 55 grains of powder in a 36 caliber revolver

And
It is "right" because it is what those living at the time wrote/painted/made/recorded. I am promoting their viewpoint. And if you don't care, why do you keep posting as if you do...?"

I care about the sport, which you seem to endorse as religion. You care about converting others to your religion. A lot of us react to your self-assured (too self assured) preaching as a turn off. As an educator, you should not teach personal views as the only way. It's what's wrong with the education system.
And, once again - history, not my personal views. If you can't make the distinction, then nothing I say will make a difference. I'd suggest spending more time with period writings and looking at existing period pieces. Or, if as you say, you don't care - refrain from commenting on a topic or subject that doesn't interest you instead of attacking those actually contributing factual information.

Truth and facts are not a "personal view point"

Using religion to argue something, is a personal view point.

Why should I spend my valuable time with period writings when I'm perfectly happy with my current choices? This important thing (personal choice) is something you don't understand. I am Me, and this is the 21st century; I am not a frontiersman or a Colonial or a mountain man and have only a mild interest in them.

Why should I spend my valuable time with period writings when I'm perfectly happy with my current choices? This important thing (personal choice) is something you don't understand. I am Me, and this is the 21st century; I am not a frontiersman or a Colonial or a mountain man and have only a mild interest in them.
Thank you for making my point. If you don't care, then don't get into discussion about these topics with people who do care and say "I don't give a manure about this and neither should anyone else..."

You have a personal choice to NOT COMMENT...which is something that appears to escape your notice.

About 500 years ago, the fact was the earth was the center of the Universe. Facts are subject to interpretation and are seldom static.

I’ve been following this post for some time now, it just seems to me that thick skin goes along way on this forum. I will say that I am a member of two other traditional muzzle loader forums and that this is the only one that has this much conflict...

About 500 years ago, the fact was the earth was the center of the Universe. Facts are subject to interpretation and are seldom static.
Yes - because some continued to learn and study, while others said "who cares - I don't..."
And yet, there were some people who knew the earth was not the center of the universe, but were shouted-down by the multitude who didn't want to listen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentrism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

We may know/understand something different about history 500 years from now, but until new information comes to light, all we have are the facts at our disposal. These facts should inform our actions now...

Last edited:
Yes - because some continued to learn and study, while others said "who cares - I don't..."
And yet, there were some people who knew the earth was not the center of the universe, but were shouted-down by the multitude who didn't want to listen.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heliocentrism
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_Galilei

We may know/understand something different about history 500 years from now, but until new information comes to light, all we have are the facts at our disposal. These facts should inform our actions now...

So living as it were 300 years ago somehow informs your life today? I've got no problem with that so long as you impose your false requirements on others. Which you seem to do without warrant. I don't care how you live your fantasy life but wonder why you care about mine.

Last edited:
So living as it were 300 years ago somehow informs your life today? I've got no problem with that so long as you don't impose your false requirements on others.

Indeed leaning about the past and reenacting does inform my life today. There is much to be gained, much to benefit from.

When has he imposed anything upon you?
Even if he had, how would such requirements be false?

I'll tell a story that might be relevant to this discussion.

I once worked with a guy who absolutely hated anything to do with history. To the point the he virtually became violent at the mere mention of the word. This intrigued me, so I investigated further.
What I found out was that this guy's hatred for all things historical was due to the fact that he married to young right out of high school, his wife might not have even graduated yet. Well, long story short, his marriage was short and ended badly in a very bitter divorce. This regret haunted him to the point that just mentioning the word history would send him into a fit of projecting rage.

True story, maybe someone can benefit from reading it.

So living as it were 300 years ago somehow informs your life today? I've got no problem with that so long as you impose your false requirements on others. Which you seem to do without warrant. I don't care how you live your fantasy life but wonder why you care about mine.

I have to say, recreating the past isn't living a fantasy life.

Also, I've never once read anything from Black Hand were he has "imposed his false requirements" on others. Think that personally is a false assumption lead by his ability to shoot straight factual info and ask for the same in return when something is leery. I for one very much appreciate the knowledge that is shared between him and many others on this forum.

This thread is ridiculous and just stupid IMO from the start... There always will be a division and people being offended. It's clearly obvious just like the political red and blue, neither side will ever step over the line drawn in the sand. I personally think this topic should be closed as zero ground has been made nor will it. Like Black Hand and others I always will be a HC aficionado and will seek to progress my knowledge and skills the best I can.

Last edited:
It's not "stupid" unless you think all the replies over 8 pages are stupid. Calling someone or something stupid is the last effort of the intolerant person who is unwilling to look at other views. I think anyone who exceeds or restricts the parameters of this forum are not true to the forum's stated mission. I couldn't care less about how you live your fantasy life so long as you don't care about my life. It's kinda of a "Do your own thang" philophy.

...but wonder why you care about mine.
I don't, but you keep posting things that apply only to you but you keep extending your disinterest to include others. Stop posting and I'll stop responding to you. Keep posting and I will respond if warranted.

But to summarize - I don't give a flying fig about what you do. Just stop posting about things you supposedly care nothing about. Even I have enough consideration to not post in threads that don't interest me. It merely makes you look like someone who has a grudge against people with a passion for history.

Stop posting? I'm not one of your students, and I recognize your inability to respond to posts opposing your viewpoint. I am a history major, in fact, but have a grudge against those who insist their view of history is unassailable. It's fluid, although the narrow period you've chosen is fairly documented, the sources are not without question. You've selected a narrow period and to which you seemingly demand others adhere to provide your view of what's acceptable and what's non PC/HC. To the exclusion of the majority of users here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back