• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Historically lubricating revolver paper cartridges

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 33697

40 Cal
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I came across an older YouTube video a few months back made by Mark Hubbs, that sells the Johnston & Dow and Kerr bullet molds, of how historic revolver paper cartridges were lubed and how to duplicate the method for making your own historic lubed paper cartridges. The link is below and is about 15 minutes long. I have experimented making paper cartridges using paraffin only as the lube from his two methods. I was surprised that barrel fouling for my revolvers was about the same effect as adding a lubed wad inside a paper cartridge.

I recently saw the same video and thought I would experiment with using the paraffin only as a lube. I made up 50 each 36 & 44 paper cartridges, but unfortunately this snow storm just hit so I have been unable to try them out yet.
Thanks, jdn262, for posting your results and I hope my efforts turn out as well.

Paraffin being a petroleum product, I have wondered if this would create a nasty fouling problem, as petroleum based products are supposed to do. Please let us know how well this works.

I have done a fair amount of research on this topic. Where is there any historical data on lubing these cartridges? A lot of the combustible cartridges didn't even use paper. The whole idea was to encase the powder in something that would completely burn up so no live embers remained in the chamber that would cause a new cartridge to explode while loading.
I hope I don't come across wrong- it is just that I have read the original patents, etc. Never ran across a paper cartridge with lube.

I have done a fair amount of research on this topic. Where is there any historical data on lubing these cartridges? A lot of the combustible cartridges didn't even use paper. The whole idea was to encase the powder in something that would completely burn up so no live embers remained in the chamber that would cause a new cartridge to explode while loading.
I hope I don't come across wrong- it is just that I have read the original patents, etc. Never ran across a paper cartridge with lube.
By chance did you watch the video that I added to this post? The author shows a lubed bullet from the civil war time period.

Paraffin being a petroleum product, I have wondered if this would create a nasty fouling problem, as petroleum based products are supposed to do. Please let us know how well this works.
paraffin has a different organic chemistry that is way over my head but works well with BP fouling. Mineral oil has a similar chemistry.
There is a dissertation on this somewhere in the Cowboy Action City Forum
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=63465.0I believe this is the link
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

Sorry- I thought you were talking about lubing the paper case, on the bullets, years ago I used half tallow (beef fat) and beeswax. I stod the bullets upright in a pizza pan (very shallow) and poured the mixture in until it was at the right level on the bullets, I had a "punch"-if I recall I think it was a 30-30 case sawn into a tube. It was sort of messy so now I just use the bullets(if the rebate on the base, powder, and cigarette paper. The cigarette paper is not the best choice because it doesn't completely burn up- in the interest of safety, you really need a paper that completely burns up. With the cigarette paper I ver closely inspect the chambers before re-loading.
I actually made the little wood boxes these rounds were stored in and put labels over the box with the ripcord to open.

Hi Red Owl,
Try hair curler paper. It is tough and I think will burn completely. I use it for the base paper in Hahn tubes.
With the tubes I fill the space above the powder with lube and shoot an as cast bullet. Much less mess by using warm lube in a 30 c/c syringe from Brownell's. That bullet box idea is very nice.
Make Smoke
Lots of it.
Bunk

Latest posts

Back