• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Historical question regarding combat with muzzleloading rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’m going to beat a dead horse here, but I believe that many people are misinformed about the American Revolution.

They seem to think that the Patriots had rifles using cover and concealment while the British used smoothbores, and linear tactics.

Even when the Americans used cover and concealment they usually lost the engagement. Most of the times the Americans were victorious were when they fought in the open using muskets in linear formations like the British and Germans did.

I don't understand why a question continues to be answered after it's been answered?

I don't understand why a question continues to be answered after it's been answered?
Because one cannot see other answers while you are typing/posting your own answer. Easy questions in popular topics often get repetitive answers. On the other hand, some ask questions that have already been answered in the same string. Its just the nature of an online forum. At least when the same answers popup, it somewhat validates the answers!

I’m going to beat a dead horse here, but I believe that many people are misinformed about the American Revolution.

They seem to think that the Patriots had rifles using cover and concealment while the British used smoothbores, and linear tactics.
That’s the truth, it was a myth that started right after the war. It was repeated after 1812. And even it’s ghost is seen in the Alvin York story.

I think its just mostly load dependent. In my .54, which has become the only rifle that I really use, I don't have to clean between shots EVER. There have been days, walking around on my family farm where I've easily shot twenty, twenty five, or thirty shots before heading in to clean the gun.

I swab between shots dust as my routine and I think it a little more consistent. I have shot God knows how many shots I’ve shot with out swabbing.
I started shooting in New Mexico. When I moved to the ozarks I was surprised on how fast my gun fouled up.
Humidity makes a lot of difference
I think one thing to keep in mind that any hit on a battlefield counts.
While hunting we need to have a quickly mortal wound.
We know of the Murphy shot at Saratoga.
I knew he had a swivel barrel. A .50?
But what would a .50 have a three hundred yards, 350 fps?
I wouldn’t try a deer with a ball at 350fps in a .50 But it was enough to remove a general from the battle field . It would have been effective fire even if the general didn’t die, more so then considering command structure of armies at that time.

Many people are very misinformed with most historical aspects. Most of them don't even care. The few that do care are worth our time to help enlighten them.

The historical Point of View of Riflemen taking all the glory has a lot of myth to it.

Riflemen were effective in early colonial wars including the War of 1812, no doubt however their actions were only as significant as the kill they inflicted.

The two that come to mind are Generals Frazier at Saratoga and Ross at Northpoint Baltimore. While Ross was likely taken out by a military sharp shooter with a contract rifle or 1803 General Frazier was hit with a hunting rifle most likely, and it took 3-4 shots to get him downed.

The F&I War saw rifle use was limited, like in the AWI these were mostly personal guns that very expensive to have owned and maintained And theIr very long barrels were not ideal for military use.

I might even make the argument that there were just as many if not more rifled weapons in British Service than in the American service. Between military Jaegers, the 1776 Rifle, Ferguson Rifle and Carbine.

From historical presentations on the use the long rifle in the War of Independence, it was mostly militia that had those weapons, and in use those guns were often used depending on how quickly the militia was raised. Example at Kingsmountain, the militia was rather quickly organized, there was no Time to gather and organize a professional militia with smoothbores.

What everyone forgets is that we think in 21 century terms. Most use black powder like smokeless.

NONE of the properties apply.

water based everything is the clue to the following shots being troublesome

Back