Historical map

Discussion in 'General Reenacting Discussions' started by Sunkmanitu Tanka, Oct 11, 2018.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Oct 11, 2018 #1

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

I am looking for a historical map from the A.W.I.- periode... I found a map that would be perfect - the 1777 map of North East America drawn by De La Tour. Lots of contemporary information and details .... BUT: For a copy in a reasonable size the price is really high! Over here in Belgium I don't seem to be able to get something of the sort...
    Has anybody here on the forum an idea where I might be able to find a decent period map that does not cost an arm or a leg?

2. Oct 12, 2018 #2

tenngun

tenngun

tenngun

Cannon

Been watching this post for replies, the closest I could come was Log Cabin sport shop used to offer some posters of old North American maps. I have only seen them in photos and can’t speak to their quality .

3. Oct 12, 2018 #3

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Loyalist Dave

Cannon MLF Supporter

4. Oct 13, 2018 #4

Scott_C

Scott_C

Scott_C

36 Cal.

Dixie Gun Works sells some maps too - not sure what they carry for stock.

5. Oct 13, 2018 #5

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

That would be a great map I think! Thank you!
    I'll have a mail to Dixie Gun wrks to ask them about it...

6. Dec 29, 2018 #6

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

Until now I had no succes in finding a suitable map of the 13 colonies, preferably just prior to the AWI. There are some firms in the United States that sell quality copies of historical maps, even in different sizes. Some, like Etsy, don't send them oversees to Europe. Others don't even bother to answer a mail requesting information. All of them cost about 100 $ up to 140 $. If I have to pay for those send over and imported (taxes, customs ... ) They will cost me up to 400 $ ! (I just got the book 'Flintlocks ... it cost 29$ but I finally had paid 120 $ when i received it yesterday...)...
    I am trying to get all things gathered that would be used in a general staff setting ... I have already an antique writing slope, spy glass, chart magnifier, all sorts of writing materials, beeswax candles and lanterns, wax seal material, laid paper, wood boxed compass, 4 pointed proportional compass, etc. etc. The hardest part however seems to be ... maps!
    I had some great tips here before but until now to no avail.
    Has nobody reenacted such a general staff meeting before ? Or a display there of ? Any one with another suggestion of where to find such a map ?
    Thank you in advance for any valuable info...
    I wish you all good health, good friendship and succes in your endeavors in the new year!

7. Dec 29, 2018 #7

appalichian hunter

appalichian hunter

appalichian hunter

36 Cl.

Try contacting the Conococheauge Institute (717-328-3467) Awhile back I commissioned a horn depicting Ft. Loudon Pa. It was to be a map horn and as you I had a hard time finding period mapping for the project. Finally went to visit the folks there and what a library to be hold, the lady was excellent and produced the period mapping I was looking for. I understand you are in Belgium but I would bet they have the maps, They will be copies of originals. AN APPALICHIAN HUNTER

8. Dec 29, 2018 #8

appalichian hunter

appalichian hunter

appalichian hunter

36 Cl.

Forgot to mention the horner whom built the horn kept the map copies he was really impressed, if not I would mail them to you. As he searched without any success.

9. Dec 29, 2018 #9

Straekat

Straekat

Straekat

40 Cal

Here's a link to a map site that may interest you (and others). These maps can be downloaded, enlarged using a graphics program, printed out to scale, and then can be used to make tracings onto a single sheet of paper.

Although the maps are primarily focused on Pennsylvania, there are several with details of larger areas of the eastern part of North America and even the entire continent.

http://www.mapsofpa.com/

10. Dec 29, 2018 #10

skypilot39b

skypilot39b

skypilot39b

36 Cal.

That's a nice resource! Thanks!

11. Dec 30, 2018 #11

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

Many thanks for your help all! I will look into all the info you provided me, and will certainly come back with the results!
    Have a great New Year!

12. Jan 4, 2019 #12

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

I finally found and ordered a map of the colonial situation around the beginning of the War of Independence. A 40" print will be made and send over (David Rumsey Historical Map Collection) ... Finally getting there! Thanks for all the suggestions...

13. Feb 10, 2019 #13

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

Finally my map came through... Again troubles with customs ... Those guys are so tiring!
    Good clear map with a lot of details of the middle colonies ... but ... printed on glossy poster paper ... I will have to look for a good copy center where they can make good copies on normal paper. Not yet out of the woods yet but getting there... Already got an antique writing campaign box, looking glass, chart magnifier and compass... IMG_2258.JPG IMG_2269.JPG

SamTex1949 and Nyckname like this.
  14. Feb 11, 2019 #14

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

Not sure is it would work for your needs, or if you can get the product where you are, but, Testors brand makes a spray on clear coat finish for models and hobby stuff called Dull Coat. This removes the shine and reflectivity of most anything I've tried it on. It should eliminate the glare and shinyness of your map. But, I'm not sure if it will hold up to repeated handling.

15. Feb 11, 2019 #15

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

Thank you for this tip ... I'm going to find out if and where I can get it!

16. Feb 11, 2019 #16

Brokennock

Brokennock

Brokennock

50 Cal.

I'd check places that cater to model builders and model train enthusiasts.

17. Feb 11, 2019 #17

Pete G

Pete G

Pete G

50 Cal.

Check out Oldmapsonline.orgoldmapsonline.org

18. Feb 11, 2019 #18

arcticap

arcticap

arcticap

54 Cal.

An interesting read is about the "Connecticut Western Reserve".
    Apparently, there was a "Sea to Sea" given to Connecticut by one of kings that may or have been rescinded.
    However, according to Wikipedia which provides an overview of it:--->>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connecticut_Western_Reserve#History

"After the American Revolutionary War, Connecticut was forced by the federal government to surrender the Pennsylvania portion (Westmoreland County) of its "sea-to-sea land grant" following the Yankee-Pennamite Wars. Nevertheless, the state held fast to its claim on the lands between the 41st and 42nd-and-2-minutes parallels that lay west of the Pennsylvania state border....."

One of my sons studied history in college and when I told him about it, he believed that many states had such royal claims or grants.
    However I'm not so sure that the others were quite as recognized.
    But Connecticut actually sold some its land which eventually led settlers to move there.

Ctwestclaims.png

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  19. Feb 14, 2019 #19

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Rifleman1776

Cannon MLF Supporter

I applaud your endeavor to preserve early American history. :thumbs up:
    A thought or two where you might be able to get maps. Try writing to the state museum of each individual state you are interested in. Being an inquiry to a more local entity you might just get some good personal assistance. And/or you might try writing to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C. For that, I would do some internet research to find the right department to address your request to. It is a massive organization and an inquiry could easily be lost if not sent to the right place.

20. Feb 15, 2019 #20

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

Sunkmanitu Tanka

45 Cal.

Thank you for your compliment and I will certainly have a go at your suggestion to write to different museums ...