• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Historical Lecture Required: Grape Shot And Volley Guns

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
grzrob said:
How do you know all of the barrels went off? How would you check this in the field? How the hell would you clean this thing in the 19th century? ( sorry, 3 questions! )
Despite this....I still want one!!!!!

I've got nothing to back it up, but.... My guess is that it would likely be fired only once in most battles. Clear the enemy top with it, then focus your musket fire on the enemy deck, picking off officers and gunners.

Checking it for misfires and cleaning it would likely be done later, in the dull hours, days, weeks, and months between engagements.

Yeah just look at how many rifles were loaded load on top of load in the Civil War. Keeping up with seven barrels would be impossible! I guess you would have to be a good judge of battle to figure out when to fire your one massive volley!
In the movie Master and Commander they fired a fake volley gun while storming the French ship.
The gun and shooter were only in frame for a second. on my freeze frame you can see the man pointing a bundle of seven barrels and then the
blast goes off. In the freeze frame you could see that there was no ramrod under the gun. FAKE!
If they had a actual reproduction volley gun they would have shown the whole thing, several times I suspect!

Yeah just look at how many rifles were loaded load on top of load in the Civil War. Keeping up with seven barrels would be impossible! I guess you would have to be a good judge of battle to figure out when to fire your one massive volley!
In the movie Master and Commander they fired a fake volley gun while storming the French ship.
The gun and shooter were only in frame for a second. on my freeze frame you can see the man pointing a bundle of seven barrels and then the
blast goes off. In the freeze frame you could see that there was no ramrod under the gun. FAKE!
If they had a actual reproduction volley gun they would have shown the whole thing, several times I suspect!

grzrob said:
How do you know all of the barrels went off?

It's simple If you dislocated your shoulder not all the barrels went off. If you broke your shoulder they all went off :thumbsup:

Andy

If all the barrels did not go off since the touch hole was between the barrels if #3 did not go off none of the rest did either??? I guessed...
Ronnie

I know a fellow who is building one from TRS parts. I hope some day to be able to answer some of these questions!!!!

Back