• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Historical accuracy in big manufacturers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But that's the truth. Flat out. It's not kinda sorta close, even. Telling someone anything otherwise is NOT "helpful".

As for "snide", I would dare say that the snideness is far more often perceived than actual. People often don't like the answers. So much so that they take personal offense to them.

I've never been on the receiving end of that comment. So its not a matter of personal offense for me.
My point is that it's that it's not a helpful way of explaining things. Sure, it's not untrue, but I don't see how it's terribly informative and inviting to a neophyte.

to start with most people that are not heavily into it has no idea what they are looking at, or care. as long as it shoots and is flashy. i would say most don't even shoot real BP in there muzzleloaders. so why should the company's care as long as sales are up and they can keep the cost low. i have guns hand built from the 1970s that weren't as close to authentic as the mass produced ones are now. i think today we "gun builders not me" are closer to building them authentic as any time in modern history,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Don't care about the historical accuracy of mass produced muzzleloaders. My wife and i are blessed, i could buy an expensive custom muzzleloader but don't want one. Some friends have custom muzzleloaders that don't shoot as well as my second hand ones.
My cousin started me shooting black powder by giving me a T/C Hawkins .50 kit rifle he picked up years ago for very little money. The reason was that the person who put it together had very limited skills or interest. The ferrules (?) that are to hold the ramrod in place were simply glued to the ramrod, not affixed to the barrel. The double set trigger didn't work (it just needed some lubrication) and the front sight was mounted backwards. It's ugly, but it shoots great and I love it.

I have been shooting, hunting, involved in historical reenacting now for over 40 years. Started out with a production Pedersoli Musket, off the rack clothes, etc. But since the beginning, I have done research and striven to be as authentic as I possibly can-authenticity is a journey not a final destination. I will only purchase maker firearms based strictly on originals, such as components from The Rifle Shop. As someone stated, with modern manufacturing methods and CNC machining, accurate firearms can be mass produced as Kibler has. If I don't have the money for something correct, I wait until I do, and the time until it is done is worth the wait. I never buy anything close enough or good enough. I run from any product advertised as someone's "rendition" or "kind of sort of loosely of based on "something. I have moved toward hand sewn clothing of 100% wool from original color sources and even correct buttons. For hunting in my Land Pattern musket with a .775 bore, I use a .690 ball because that's what was used in the French and Indian War. Still have my Italian musket but mostly for the memories of my journey and occasional use. But, I never judge others by the standards I have set for myself, everyone has their own reasons for what they do and it's not up to me to criticize or point out flaws. If a historical site allows something then so be it. I always try to help if I am asked. However two things are unacceptable to me at a historical event, modern eyeglasses and modern footwear with a legging over it.

Last edited:
A bunch of the military and those with a specific name denoting a certain model. ie: Brown Bess. Read their web page.
Those are exacty the "sorta close" copies I'm talking about. Read Dave Persons' account of making a Bess more acceptable or the defarbing services offered by Lodgewood.

Those are exacty the "sorta close" copies I'm talking about. Read Dave Persons' account of making a Bess more acceptable or the defarbing services offered by Lodgewood.
Now, I haven't seen the add in many years, but I did see where they took original rifles/pistols, took them apart, and measured all parts. Then made the weapon per specifications. It was said that with a little fitting, a Pedersoli part could replace the original.

Ranger 1755, should i just shoot without 'em and hope im aiming in the general direction? Honestly im not neglecting my eyes where my lens shape and wrap is critical to my perscription just to be hc/pc.

I'll side with you on footwear though.

Chris

Hi Chris, I wear prescription eyeglasses. I took my prescription along with a pair of reproduction 18th century frames and had the correct lenses put in them. Can see just as well with them as with the modern glasses. Eye wear has come a long way, no real reason to excuse modern glasses in my opinion.

it seems that reproduction weapons are heading to be costing more than ORIGIONAL ONES!
I'm absolutely with You , and that's the reason , why I personnaly shoot but originals only ( or self made HC/PC guns , which I learned to make by trial and error with HC material and also PC technics but luckily having had originals as samples to copy and lots of old books to learn , how our acestors did ) , since over 40 years now .
But I feel , they have become much harder to find in useable condition over the last couple of years .
BUT - since they already have and still will last MUCH longer than most of the factory repros , they're still worth the research for them , which makes half the fun for me . Just MY 2cts

This is an original 2nd generation Colt Navy .36 cal given to me by my brother. They received 3 parts as rough castings by the Italians. The rest were manufactured and all assembly done at the Colt factory. I hear that these are getting hard to find.

Attachments

• C8EA3826-392C-44C8-BDEB-A8E098CA50EB.png
    C8EA3826-392C-44C8-BDEB-A8E098CA50EB.png
    972.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 10AEA945-9AC3-4E17-B2CC-5339A6B54644.jpeg
    10AEA945-9AC3-4E17-B2CC-5339A6B54644.jpeg
    78.2 KB · Views: 59
Back