Historian Shelby Foote

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I think one of Foote's famous quotes was "I'd be with my people, right or wrong."
Another quote about the Confederate flag is just as good. "I'm for the Confederate flag always and forever.Many among the finest people this country has ever produced died in that war. To take it and call it a symbol of evil is a misrepresentation."

54ball

62 Cal.
Reaction score
My only wish as an elderly man of 72 years now, is that someday, this great country will come to it's senses,
and declare a National Cemetery location for the Courageous Confederate Dead to lie in honor, peace and
remembrance of the sacrifices that they made for their cause as well. They were Americans too.
There are many Confederate Cemeteries. Most of these are tended by the states.
By act of Congress in 1958, Confederate dead were recognized as the same status as any American dead by the graves and registration. To this day any Confederate grave is eligible for a CSA marker from the US government.

Darto

40 Cal.
Reaction score
About the time some Confederate statues were being removed, Foote's books became way more expensive all of a sudden. I found a nice set of the hardbacks for about $50 but it was a tough search.

But now I see the prices are back down to what they used to be. About $50 for a decent set of 3 hardbacks and $100 for new. They were like 3 times that about a year ago during the anti confederate hysteria.

sodapop63

32 Cal
Reaction score
It is surprising how many "not-from-the-south" members on another forum object to Foote and say he is not a true historian because he doesn't use footnotes. It almost gives one the impression that there's a little jealousy in some of that criticism.
I have a Master's Degree in History, with the focus on American History. My Master's Thesis was "The Civil War in Missouri, with a Focus on Rolla, Phelps County and the Surrounding Areas." I used footnotes on every page. And I STILL adore Shelby Foote! To say he is not a true historian is both ridiculous and ignorant. Mr. Foote was a national treasure. His knowledge and passion were informative, insightful and inspiring. I read/watch/listen to him to this very day.

Mujiir

32 Cal
Reaction score
Isn't it sad and strange how agenda driven this topic is? Being from the Seattle area, I have personally seen the disgusting Lenin monument. I remember how 'cool' Seattle thought it was to have Lenin in town... That said, he deserves to be remembered, (in Russia and here) not as a hero, but for the mass murderer he actually was.
Having moved to NE Texas 7 years ago, I stood in defense of our 'Confederate' monument while the BLM movement came through. Even though two of my ancestors fought in the Battle of Nashville in the Union Army, and one of them is buried there...

History, both good and bad, is to be learned from. Not hidden because someone has 'feelings'.

Attachments

• vladimir-lenin-seattle-washington-usa-27497425.png
    vladimir-lenin-seattle-washington-usa-27497425.png
    118.4 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Reaction score
Any mention of Shelby Foote always reminds me of a story he told about a skirmish line forming up just prior to one of the big battles at Gettysburg (I think that's correct). He said the troops' activity jumped a rabbit that then ran down the line and one soldier called after it, "You better run, old hare. If I's an old hare, I'd run too!"

Even typing that was impossible to do without hearing Foote's unmistakable drawl relating the story.
I like that anecdote as well. Interesting to note that I have read of a few similar instances of that. Its almost like it was a running joke in the ANV. Anyhow, I could listen to Shelby Foote all day.

smoothshooter

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I was favorable impressed by Selby Foote's appearance in Ken Burns' Civil War documentary. I could listen to him talk for hours and was delighted by his authentic quotes from famous Civil War figures.

For your entertainment, I have discovered a series of interviews with Mr. Foote on Youtube.

I was very surprised to find out a few years ago that Foote’s main area of interest and profession was in the theater.
Most of those people would have been pretty hostile to someone with his views even 30 years ago.

Nowadays they would ruin him financially and legally, destroy his reputation, and drive him out of the business, sadly.

Timex

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Yes, was inspired by the Ken Burns series to buy the trilogy, one of the most defined CW reads ever, and it seems to be pretty well balanced in all respects. Was sorry to hear of his death years ago, loved to hear his vocalizations...
Thank you for the remarks. The volume is for sale at our used / only book store in town.

Eutycus

70 Cal.
Reaction score
We were discussing the recent death of David McCullough on another forum. Had he turned it down and the narration turned over to Foote, how do you think the Documentary would have turned out?

charcoal

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Isn't it sad and strange how agenda driven this topic is? Being from the Seattle area, I have personally seen the disgusting Lenin monument. I remember how 'cool' Seattle thought it was to have Lenin in town... That said, he deserves to be remembered, (in Russia and here) not as a hero, but for the mass murderer he actually was.
Having moved to NE Texas 7 years ago, I stood in defense of our 'Confederate' monument while the BLM movement came through. Even though two of my ancestors fought in the Battle of Nashville in the Union Army, and one of them is buried there...

History, both good and bad, is to be learned from. Not hidden because someone has 'feelings'.
Agree totally. My ancestor was killed at Berryville, Virginia fighting with the 6th NY Cavalry. These nutcases, I'm speaking of the ones with mental psychosis, who were tearing down the nation's statues, and those who supported this idiocy, are no different from the Islamofascists who destroyed the history and art in the middle east. In their warped and fevered minds they think that if they destroy the art the whole thing never existed. They are truly mentally ill reprobates.