• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Higher Sights for SMR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluejack

32 Cal
Reaction score
I need to put higher sights on my Kibler SMR-anyone have a reccommendation Thanks in advance Bluejack

Locating sight options will be pretty easy, you'll find that there are lots of venders that have them
Finding the safe sided dovetail files will be more problematic- Short of making your own, I've only been able to find two options after a lot of searching and both are on the spendy side.
Brownells has one for $50 plus shipping and Skinner Sights LLC has them for $20 plus $8 shipping.

I need to put higher sights on my Kibler SMR-anyone have a reccommendation Thanks in advance Bluejack
If you have files, vice, and hacksaw, make your own. Then they will be just like you want. I am not a machinist, just a carpenter. This is a rear sight I made out of the bar stock to the left. The only elect power I needed was a dremel to dish out the inside curve. Front sight can be made in a similar way OR two piece and then
that would require solder work.

you
IMG_2397.jpeg

I needed a much wider front sight on my SMR. I made it out of a mild steel.

The height of the issue rear is sufficient to not have mirage issues for me. Higher because it shoots low with the front sight filed down to a nub?? That would be a barrel issue, not a sight problem. Jim would want to know.

If you're going to make sights get a jig. I bought this from Dave Rase over on ALR but they can be made from Oak or whatnot. Handy.
Neat jig! What is it for? I make a sight whatever size I want, then make the barrel dovetail slightly undersize and file the sight to fit, and or narrow the sight base some. I am not trying to be difficult, but my carpenter brain does not see the value. Help me out here.

Neat jig! What is it for? I make a sight whatever size I want, then make the barrel dovetail slightly undersize and file the sight to fit, and or narrow the sight base some. I am not trying to be difficult, but my carpenter brain does not see the value. Help me out here.

It's just for holding a sight by the dovetail so it can be worked with a file from a vice. If you rough shape, dovetail, then all the rest can be finished being held firmly by the jig. It's also handy for working an existing sight such as decorating or reshaping.

It's just for holding a sight by the dovetail so it can be worked with a file from a vice. If you rough shape, dovetail, then all the rest can be finished being held firmly by the jig. It's also handy for working an existing sight such as decorating or reshaping.
Cool, thanks for helping my brain! Never even entered my peahead. 😂 I have just used my bench vice since the 70s.
It is a good idea, but not one I would spend money on.
Thanks!
Larry

Back