• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

High round count range sessions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadhoarder

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Today I shot a high round count range session with my TC today. At least it is what I consider a high round count session. I realize that some folks might not think so. In the past I would always just shoot 15-25 rounds. Today I shot 75-85 shots. I wiped the bore with ballistol and water about every 15 rounds or so. but a few times I ended up wiping at probably a 10 round interval if loading was getting harder.

I did get a few misfires where a second blow from the hammer set them off fine. I tried to seat the nipple with a dowel but it still happened a few times.

When shooting higher volumes can the fowling on the nippple cause this? Do I need to clean the hammer face or nipple more often. My first thought was that I was not getting the cap on the nipple all the way because of grime on the nipple. I did not have a brush with me. I think I am going to put a toothbrush in my range box now.

What other tactics need to be used to keep a muzzloader running?

Today I shot a high round count range session with my TC today. At least it is what I consider a high round count session. I realize that some folks might not think so. In the past I would always just shoot 15-25 rounds. Today I shot 75-85 shots. I wiped the bore with ballistol and water about every 15 rounds or so. but a few times I ended up wiping at probably a 10 round interval if loading was getting harder.

I did get a few misfires where a second blow from the hammer set them off fine. I tried to seat the nipple with a dowel but it still happened a few times.

When shooting higher volumes can the fowling on the nippple cause this? Do I need to clean the hammer face or nipple more often. My first thought was that I was not getting the cap on the nipple all the way because of grime on the nipple. I did not have a brush with me. I think I am going to put a toothbrush in my range box now.

What other tactics need to be used to keep a muzzloader running?
I would say yes. When i wipe the bore as you are doing i try and remember to flip the dirty patch over in my hand and then with fingers wipe the nipple by just gripping the patch and nipple. Nothing fancy, nothing like scrubbing. Just a simple circular wipe or couple of em with my fingers around the nipple. I have even wet my fingers and done it without a patch if was having trouble there. I have done volume fire with scouts. As many as 140 in a day. That is a step to keep em shooting for me.

I was actually kind of sore when I got home and started to clean the rifle. And I am fairly sure I am much younger than the vast majority that post on here.

When I shoot thirty rounds out of my flintlocks, I have "rammed" ninety to ninety five times. (Load, damp patch, dry patch, load) Having had shoulder surgery (rotator cuff) and then forearm surgery (tumor removal, then skin graft) I am pretty near plum tuckered out after that range visit. Last time I did "high volume" shooting was a three day flintlock match firing 100+ rounds. That's about 300 times up and down the ramrod thimbles. I was exhausted. Next time I will hire "staff" to clean and load.

ADK Bigfoot

I keep a piece of pipe cleaner in my bag to clean out the nipple every so often when shooting a lot. I wipe outside of the nipple with a rag or shirt tail. It keeps the gun firing for a whole session which is about thirty or forty for me if weather is nice. A couple weeks ago I went shooting when snow was on the ground and about 24 degrees. I managed I whopping ten shots that day.

I keep a piece of pipe cleaner in my bag to clean out the nipple every so often when shooting a lot. I wipe outside of the nipple with a rag or shirt tail. It keeps the gun firing for a whole session which is about thirty or forty for me if weather is nice. A couple weeks ago I went shooting when snow was on the ground and about 24 degrees. I managed I whopping ten shots that day.
very interesting this may account for problems with my Sharps RWS musket caps needing second strikes to fire I run a damp patch about every about every 5 or 6 shots easy to do from the breech. Now the nipple will get the same.
Yr' Obt' Svt'
Bunk

ADK Bigfoot,

Sorry if I confused you sir. I've been known to shoot a few cap guns (you know, the ones from St. Louis or Kentucky) as well as flintlocks.😅 I also use the period/historically incorrect pipe cleaner to clean the touch hole on my flintlock too sometimes. I have a bunch of period correct tools for this but the little piece of pipe cleaner is just real handy to drop in a shirt pocket.
😉

Yes you do eventually need to clean the outside of your nipple. I don't know why. But I do know its particularly bad on revolvers. I've never had to clean my rifle nipple while at range. But on my revolvers it seems like I need to every 2-3 cylinders. I don't know why. But I do know it is from external fouling, and I'm pretty sure that's where your problem was too.

Yes you do eventually need to clean the outside of your nipple. I don't know why. But I do know its particularly bad on revolvers. I've never had to clean my rifle nipple while at range. But on my revolvers it seems like I need to every 2-3 cylinders. I don't know why. But I do know it is from external fouling, and I'm pretty sure that's where your problem was too.
that is odd, because I will shoot at least 20 or 30 shots when shooting and never have had problems like that.
My revolvers are equipped with Slixshot nipples using Remington #10 caps, 15 grains FFFg (usually GOEX) a lubed felt wad and a .451" hand cast ball.
My revolvers get used a lot and all the .44 Colts are set up the same way. The .36 Navy revolvers are set up the same way using the same loading but a smaller ball.
Puzzled
Bunk

that is odd, because I will shoot at least 20 or 30 shots when shooting and never have had problems like that.
My revolvers are equipped with Slixshot nipples using Remington #10 caps, 15 grains FFFg (usually GOEX) a lubed felt wad and a .451" hand cast ball.
My revolvers get used a lot and all the .44 Colts are set up the same way. The .36 Navy revolvers are set up the same way using the same loading but a smaller ball.
Puzzled
Bunk

Key word there is slixshot.

I think I was at the range between 3-4 hours. I was shooting at a pretty good pace but I did take a few breaks when the range went cold a few times. There were not many folks there so the range was hot nearly the whole time.

Back