• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

High aspirations

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How did you treat the pelt after skinning? I scrapped and salted mine but was not happy with the result.
I learned how to clean skin. So only a little scraping needed, stretch the pelts on steel hoop stretchers using hog staples. Then just hang them up in the fur shed, till they were dry and ready to be sent off to auction.

I had a good area for trapping, nice large beaver, thick quality pelts.

I'm simply amazed a beaver would go after a tree that size. I know they will do that from time to time but then what? Reminds me of a dog chasing a car and catching it!

Where I am, when you see them at a tree that size, they are planning on a dam right there. They aren't going to tow that even if they dropped it into the water. The never end amazing me as to their problem solving skills when it comes to blocking water.

OH if you want to attract them, if they are a pest on your property and not as a game animal, get a recording of water rushing through some rocks..., play it loud.... the sound makes them think their dam has a leak and they will come to survey it and to patch it.

LD

These over achievers already have a damn dam.

1653429531646.jpeg

There are plenty of beaver in Campbell County, East Tennessee. I’ve trapped lots of critters but never beaver.

Didn't know there were any Beavers left in the Eastern US. We were up on the Virginia Creeper trail near Bristol and came across this. The tree on the right is a good 8 inches in diameter.
View attachment 141213.
Beavers live in the lake behind my niece's house near the DC beltway. Her husband walked out on the deck one morning to find their good sized Crepe Myrtle tree gone with a only pile of chips left behind. I've seen a couple of big beaver gnawed trees along the C&O canal that took ambition to tackle but they persevered.

I've seen them out in the daylight plenty of times. As long as things are calm and quiet. They like to move in to my pond every spring, and plug up the drain pipe. Usually, constant commotion causes them to move on within a few days.

Years ago, we had to approval from dec to trap them.

Last edited:
We had a rather large beaver that kept damming the stream just to the other side of the road from our house and flooding our yard. It was a solid month of every day wrecking the dam only to have it rebuilt 12 hours later. The end came when Mr. Beaver erroneously crossed over the road instead of using the culvert under the road. Mr Peterbuilt took care of the rest. That bugger must have weighed almost 50 pounds-at least it seemed that heavy when I dragged his carcass to its final resting place in the woods! Oh by the way, I live in central New Jersey!

I've had 47yrs of trapping beavers.Truth is they ain't worth the work any more..no market for them. My largest was 86# taken on the Platte river here in Eastern Nebraska. stretched and dried at 74 inches. Beaver are skinned vent to bottom lip. then stretched round and fleshed..I tack mine to wood wire spools 4-5' ones.when they dry you can ship them green. but NO Market. Best to make something out of them,But the tanning process is a lot of work. I just do pest control now.. BTW 60" is a blanket, thats what those little black marks on your Hudson Bay blankets are.How many Beavers it took in trade for one. 4 lines best 3lines thinner so on ..as far as stinking TomAHawk was your beaver black w/2 white stripes?

I have no idea what the world record for beaver weight/size is but water fowl hunting the Mississippi River in the middle of the last century I can assure you I've seen plenty of beavers north of 100 pounds

Bear

Latest posts

Back