• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hickok and His .36 Navy Revolvers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
So I was looking into exactly what is known about Wild Bill Hickock and his cap-n-ball, Colt Navy .36 revolvers.

It appears that Hickok opted for revolvers that were accurate in his hands, well above the stopping power. Here is a summary of the documented fights where Hickok prevailed:

The Davis Tutt duel, 75 yards, and Tutt is hit in the chest below the 5th rib, the ball traveled across the chest cavity likely damaging the heart.

Tutt called out, "Boys, I'm killed," ran onto the porch of the local courthouse and back to the street, where he collapsed and died,

Hickok reportedly was involved in a dispute with drunken cowboys inside a saloon. One of them pushed him, causing him to drop his drink. Hickok struck the man, and four of the cowboy’s friends rose with guns drawn. Hickok persuaded the men to step outside where he faced all four at 15 paces, or about 40 feet (12 m). The bartender counted down and Hickok killed three of the men with a bullet to the head and wounded the fourth with a shot through the cheek bone

Bill Mulvey leveled his cocked rifle at Hickok. Hickok waved his hand past Mulvey at some onlookers and yelled, "Don't shoot him in the back; he is drunk." Mulvey wheeled his horse around to face those who might shoot him from behind, and before he realized he had been fooled, Hickok shot him through the temple

Later in the same year Samuel Strawhun, a cowboy, who "made remarks against Hickok," and Hickok killed him with a shot through the head.

In an instant, Hickok pulled the triggers again sending two bullets into Coe's abdomen, and Coe lived a day or two after the shootout, then died.

There is one additional shootout where Hickok shot two men, killing the one he shot twice. Distance and wound location are not known.

Out of the 8 dead men documented above, five were killed with head shots, two were torso shots, and one is unknown. Those not hit in the head were not immediately incapacitated.

These results seem to support the idea that shot placement is everything, and coupled with that speed of additional shots is important as well. ;)

"Lord make me fast and accurate". Mel Gibson as Benjamin Martin in The Patriot (OK so he was using rifles and muzzleloaders but it works here too.) :thumb:

LD

LD, yep has always been fact. Fast is great ... however ... accurate wins every contest. I can not remember the bullet to kill ratio in Viet Nam, however the kills were all very expensive.

Willingness and accurate delivery is where its at. At the heart of it ... willingness is probably the most important. It is very hard to best a man/woman that know how to expel emotion and go dead inside at will. Folks like Jessie James and Hickock knew this and combined this "heart" with deadly accurate delivery.

The 36 ... i believe ... should never ever be underestimated. It would equal to dismissing a feller holding a lowly 22 LR aimed at you ... anywhere. NO THANKS! Not a 22 NOR the 36! I am alergic to ventilation of any kind.

I'll say again, the .36 is more "effective" than one would think, or a foot-pounds-of-energy formula would suggest. Certainly far more deadly than any .22LR, although it can be cited that the .22 has killed many. I don't believe that Bill would have been as successful with a .22 cap and ball revolver. !!!

My point exactly Rat, round balls got er did for decades and would continue to do so.

Those paper carts in my photo to the left are 25 grain charges under the 36 round ball, dunked in lube. These are more than what would be expected from the 36. Powerful and fast reloads are fun AND deadly.

I am following your "loss of power" post to see how your pure bee wax lubed loads do.

Reactions: Rat
Bigted: “bullet to kill ratio in Viet Nam, however the kills were all very expensive”.

Long ago I read that seven thousand shots were fired for every enemy combat kill in Vietnam Nam.

The colt factory received letters from British officers from the Crimean War ~1858, they complained about the lack of power in their 36 cal revolvers. Apparently the Russians wearing many layers of coats were near bullet proof to the 36 cal pistol. Maybe they should have aimed for head shots like Hickock.

I'll say again, the .36 is more "effective" than one would think, or a foot-pounds-of-energy formula would suggest. Certainly far more deadly than any .22LR, although it can be cited that the .22 has killed many. I don't believe that Bill would have been as successful with a .22 cap and ball revolver. !!!

The first time I fired a .36 cap and ball (with 3f powder), it was into a 50 gallon drum at about 50 feet to get a sense of how much punch the round had. The ball went through both walls with mushroomed exit holes. The one on the far side was about one and a quarter inches across with jagged edges.

I also experimented on a gallon jug filled with solidified jello from the same distance. The splatter effect was considerable.

Later, I tried something similar with a repro Colt Walker dragoon. The differences in heft and recoil are very different from a .36 cal. Lighter weight means faster speed, and the lighter caliber means less likelihood of flinching or being innacurrate when shooting one handed.

Moral of the story is a lesson in physics. A non-jacketed lead bullet can really expand when it hits something, and head shots in particular aren't pretty.

Yep, pure lead balls were the original expanding bullets.

Hickok was also in Nebraska Territory in 1861 and killed a man at Rock Creek Station along the Oregon Trail. There are a number of versions of the story, but most reliable is he shot him with a scatter gun. He also spent time in Abilene Kansas and Hays City Kansas (now known as Hays) There he did kill Strahun in a bar in 1869 and also later a soldier. This was after he had been appointed sheriff. He lost the election a few months later. I've been on the street where the bars were located when I lived there and he probably wasn't more than 10-20 feet if that much from Strawhun as those buildings weren't very big. In 1870 he got out of Hays, rather than out of Dodge after he killed one soldier and wounded another in a bar fight. The point here is in these instances he was at very close range with his pistols. He still was a cool cucumber in a fight.

Stopping power is much less important than accuracy when you are going for head shots. I have also read that Hickok emptied and reloaded his guns every day. That's at least 10 shots of target practice every day. Few people practiced that much.

Maybe one of those people who only needs a couple of hours of sleep per night. I need about nine hours....wouldn't have time to shoot anyone.

Now you know why the guy that killed him had to use a bush whack! Cowardly but smart! Good thing his gun didn't miss fire as I doubt Bill would have given him another hammer drop!

Personally I think the ability to remain calm with the opportunity however it presents itself is the main skill to acquire. Marksmanship and speed is paramount in a situation such as this, But calmness and deliberate initiative prevails, in other words controlling your autonomical nervous system. You must master accuracy first then speed. Also the ability to read your opponents body language. How often was Bill drunk or well on his way to being drunk, or his opponents. I am not sure but have read of a story over a pocket watch where he took his time and at a distance shot the other guy through the heart as his opponent was blasting away fact or fiction.

Loyalist Dave, never heard of the 1867 encounter where he shot 4 men. Do you know where that took place. I know Bill was quick to use his guns

Buel, James William (1880). The Life and Marvelous Adventures of Wild Bill the Scout is the source for the four man fight, and it was in Jefferson County, Nebraska.

Now such sources are often embellished, BUT sometimes not so much, for you will note he didn't kill all four, and the normal human trait is to embellish toward the dramatic, thus why not simply write that Wild Bill shot all four in the head, dead?

LD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back