• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hi guys

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZDC

32 Cal
Reaction score
I realized I haven't made a introduction.

But hi, I'm from Pa. I'm a long time lurker and enjoy reading up.I'm a long time archer, and spend a lot of time tinkering with my bows. So I thought that muzzleloaders would be fun as well.

Last year I decided to get into flintlocks and got a cheap used gun. ( Lyman Hawkens) She shoots well with a RB and 70 grains of 3f BP. And I've had a lot of fun on the range punching paper and blowing up water jugs.

This year I'm looking to take my first deer with it and am hopeful I can make something happen.
I have a doe tag saved that I'm looking to fill and I'm not going to be super picky.

with it.

@ZDC

Welcome to the forum!

I beg to differ Sir! There is nothing wrong or "cheap" about an Investarm made Lyman. Are they the best? Nope, but you could do a heck of a lot worse. I own a couple very expensive customs. They work no better or worse than any Lyman, T/C, Traditions, CVA, or Pedersoli I also own. Please don't discount your Lyman. It will serve you well for years to come with just basic maintenance and care.

Which Lyman is it? The Great Plains or the Trade Rifle? Or maybe something older? Post pics if you can!

@ZDC

Welcome to the forum!

I beg to differ Sir! There is nothing wrong or "cheap" about an Investarm made Lyman. Are they the best? Nope, but you could do a heck of a lot worse. I own a couple very expensive customs. They work no better or worse than any Lyman, T/C, Traditions, CVA, or Pedersoli I also own. Please don't discount your Lyman. It will serve you well for years to come with just basic maintenance and care.

Which Lyman is it? The Great Plains or the Trade Rifle? Or maybe something older? Post pics if you can!
It's old. A old homemade gun. Not pretty at all, but I got a good deal and the barrel shoots great with a .495 RB and a pillow ticking patch.

Wins no beauty awards but in terms of function it's pretty good, and goes off very quick and I messed with the triggers so the firing trigger is very, very, very light when the set trigger is pulled.

I'll see if I can get a picture uploaded later

@ZDC

Welcome to the forum!

I agree. I own two GPR's by Lyman, a Capper and a flinter. They work great.

Back