Hi all, new member with an interest for wheellocks

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

evand848

32 Cal
Reaction score
howdy, I am new here. I have been looking into getting a wheellock, I know this adventure isnt going to be cheap. What is the best way to get into wheellocks? Is Bolek the way to go? or therifleshoppe? what can I expect? (it probably doesnt help that im undecided on a pistol, a rifle, or a musket).

Rudyard

40 Cal
Reaction score
Once you've decided on what sort of Wheellock & there where some large pistol style ones cheaply had a few years since the rest is up to your skill to wed a suitable barrel to a suitable stock form These locks would suit a long arm best .Paul Jacobi was a vender once & Navy Arms had similar offering's For alternant styles refer pages below ' Hunting with W locks ect' Ive gone different styles but most as the photos show.. Quite WHY youde want one is another matter! but your choice . Have fun.
Rudyard

ChrisPer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Welcome! I can't afford Bolek's work, unfortunately. My impression is that his locks will run like a Swiss watch.

evand848

32 Cal
Reaction score
Once you've decided on what sort of Wheellock & there where some large pistol style ones cheaply had a few years since the rest is up to your skill to wed a suitable barrel to a suitable stock form These locks would suit a long arm best .Paul Jacobi was a vender once & Navy Arms had similar offering's For alternant styles refer pages below ' Hunting with W locks ect' Ive gone different styles but most as the photos show.. Quite WHY youde want one is another matter! but your choice . Have fun.
Rudyard
So i would basically have to build one with a complete lock?

Commodore Swab

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
If you are looking to get something functional quickly (under a couple years) and not build the lock yourself then Bolek is your best bet. If you are skilled and want to try building one yourself once you get the rifle shoppe on the phone ask what parts sets they have in stock and go from there. If all you are looking for is decoration Loyalist was having them built in India and has them on their website. One thing is certain going with one of Boleks locks should save you much time and aggravation should you want a shooter.

evand848

32 Cal
Reaction score
If you are looking to get something functional quickly (under a couple years) and not build the lock yourself then Bolek is your best bet. If you are skilled and want to try building one yourself once you get the rifle shoppe on the phone ask what parts sets they have in stock and go from there. If all you are looking for is decoration Loyalist was having them built in India and has them on their website. One thing is certain going with one of Boleks locks should save you much time and aggravation should you want a shooter.
Thank you! do you know how much I can expect for a complete gun (of any kind)? Im always afraid to ask him because I dont have the money quite yet. I dont want to offend him

Rudyard

40 Cal
Reaction score
So i would basically have to build one with a complete lock?
No,, if the Jacobi lock can be found you don't need to make a new lock. .That is no simple matter I did get some locks made in Cawnpore years ago but they where all made in different shops so the workers couldn't copy them entirely I've worked up two the rest where all sold Ide guess the lock on Felt Wads rifle is a Jacobi lock much the same if not thee same as the Navy Arms offerings. But again your looking for old offerings . I have made Wheellock locks from scratch but its not easy .I've not seen what Loyalist arms are offering it might be your best bet re availability & price Ime pretty sure you will have to do a lot of ' working up ' but That would be my start point in your position
.Rudyard

Feltwad

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I bought two wheel locks from Major Noel Corry one was with a Mendi pistol kit and the one I fitted to my build of the rifle was the same has the pistol lock see image
Lock fitted to the Mendi pistol and rifle
Feltwad

Mendi pistol kit

Rudyard

40 Cal
Reaction score
Meni - Jacobi Ide guess its the same lock I made up a pistol since used by a museum curator to illustrate a talk on armour its rise & demise thanks to Wheellocks pistol single & doubled shotted . We both got them to work and they where not dear but might be hard to find and might not suit you . Cheers Rudyard

Latest posts

Group Builder