• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Hevi-Shot

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
azmntman said:
Can we shoot bismoth or hevi shot in our black powder shot guns w/o a plastic cup? :hmm: :hmm:
From Ballistics Products Website:
“”¦Hevi-Shot
History: Hevi-Shot is an approved non-toxic shotshell pellet made from a tungsten alloy, nickel, and iron. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service granted final approval for Hevi-Shot in the Federal Register on January 4, 2001. Hevi-Shot is legal for all waterfowl hunting in all 50 states. Hevi-Shot is made of tungsten alloy, nickel and iron to a target density of 12 grams per cubic centimeter. The enhanced physical properties of Hevi-Shot translates into demonstrably increased down-range pellet energy.
Hevi-Shot is very hard and, as steel shot users should already know, harder-than-barrel steel pellets must be contained within a specially manufactured, purpose-built shotcup. BPI loading manuals caution against the possibility of bore and barrel damage. BPI addresses this issue with our proprietary lines of Tuff Premium Field Wads, Multi-Metal, and TPS series of protective wads.
Hevi-Shot delivers tremendous patterns and long range. The retained energy of Hevi-Shot delivers long-range lethality, a quality that is highly sought after by waterfowl hunters”¦”
http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Hevi-Shot-2-2-lbs_bag/productinfo/0557002/

Last edited by a moderator:
"NO" To Hevi-shot!!!!!

I use BPI multi-metal wads..cut and trimed for my 10 ga. Pedersoli double.
10 ga. wads are too big in Dia..I use 12 ga in the 10 ga. dbl.
The bore mic's closer to 11 ga.
They work!.. have shot hundreds of them out the bore with Hevi-shot..
No issues to date.

Also use Nice shot...I use a wad with Nice shot to protect the shot from wiping on the bore in and out = better patterns.
My non-toxic prefence in order

Hevi-shot
Nice-shot
plain steel as last resort.

Tried to pattern ITx #6's for turkeys and failed.

Bismuth was not been tired here.

For Ducks and Geese #2 Hevi is what I favor.

Hope this helps..Protect your bore or pay the price.

Is it Oct 1st 2014 yet? :thumbsup:

hunts4deer said:
Nice-Shot is very similar, but much softer and no issue with barrel damage.

Nice shot is great stuff. But, I heard that they've stopped producing it. And worse, Precision Reloading is showing most sizes as "out of stock." So, it may be true.

Haven't tried non-toxic shot in my Brown Bess, mainly because I've had no trouble finding regular lead shot hereabouts. I picked up a 25lb bag of #6 at the local Cabela's outlet a couple of weeks ago. Although it was a bit costly at nearly $2/lb, they had plenty on the shelves in all the common sizes. Wonder if I should be stocking up? :hmm:

Hevi shot will work if you use plastic cups designed specifically to hold Hevi shot. (I'm assuming that the price of Hevi Shot will limit how many round go through your barrels.

Bismuth works (and the current Bismuth is less prone to shattering). I know that plenty of folks swear by ITX. Nice shot is great if you can find it. One could buy Kent Cartridge loaded shells of Tungsten Matrix and dismantle them for the shot.

Federal Law States --Non Toxic shot required to hunt waterfowl PERIOD!
Check your local and state laws pertaining to the areas(public) you may hunt.
Most areas require it if in a waterfowl production area or wetland.
No matter what type of game your hunting.
Read before you feed to save the fine.
Spent lead shot ingestion will cause trouble.

Latest posts

Back