• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Herter's Long Grain Rice?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamTex1949

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, I know this doesnt go back into the 19th century but while cleaning out my folk's kitchen cabinets i came across this can ! have tried searching it out on the NET but so far only found one listed on Ebay and that's it !
eb87b601691e3f64aa3595328dd7d6d0.jpg

Herters was a Sporting Goods Retail outfit in Waseca, Minn for decades.
I'm not sure but I think they folded in the early to mid 70's.

Herter's became a casualty of the Democratic party's war on American gun ownership. Much of their revenue came from BSA rifles, actions, and barreled actions, along with other European small arms -- all of which disappeared with Lyndon "Butcher" Johnson's gun control act of '68.

Their tongue in cheek catalog also fell afoul of the Fed's "Truth In Advertising" laws. It was written in the style of the 1890s with all the attendant hooplah and was never intended to be taken seriously by those with more than two working brain cells (which obviously excluded government workers).

Knowing "their" ammo is still for sale, from Gunner'sDen there's this, and it reinforces how insidious the Party of the Left in this country is...

Business:
In 1937 George Leonard Herter (heir to the Herter's outdoor goods business) took his father's dry goods store and turned it into a mail order outdoor goods business, selling hunting and fishing items through a catalog. Herter over the next four decades built a mail-order sporting-goods juggernaut. He later opened retail outlet stores scattered throughout the upper Midwest which pioneered the style of outdoor goods stores now used by Cabela's and others.

Importer:
Herter's was a successful importer, distributor, and retailer headquartered in Waseca, Minnesota from early 1960s to 1979. Herter's subcontracted various manufacturers (mostly European) to fabricate various items for the sporting-goods industry to offer Herter's customers a better value on many hunting and fishing items.

Most of these items were copies and were designed to undersell the competition. Quality in most cases was quite good, including ammunition, consumer sales were not strong enough to continue production on some models. Herters model values are usually under the original trademarks from which they were derived and to date have been based more on the shooting utility than the collector potential.

Catalog:
The annual two-inch thick Herter’s catalog, was, not just a standard source of camping gear, fishing tackle, reloading gear, fly tying hackle, trapping and taxidermy supplies, the Herter’s catalog was a long term reading that found its home on the coffee table of many american sportsmans homes providing good reading for countless hours while at home.

The Herter's mail-order catalog, was a three-ring binder with about 400,000 or 500,000 copies per run, Herter wrote all the copy for the catalogs.

Bankruptcy:
Federal enforcement of a ban on the trade in feathers of endangered species (used for fly tying) took no cognizance of material stockpiles dating to periods long before the ban, and George Leonard Herter was a hard core sportsman who simply could not bow to irrational regulation. Reports were that federal lawsuits and seizures, based on one small particular type of feather entirely legally owned and acquired in the first place, ruined the famous company.

The company went bankrupt in 1981 and George Leonard Herter (died in 1994).

Herter's Products Now Distributed Exclusively by Cabela's:
Herter's Statement: "Thank you for your interest in Herter's. Recently, we made the decision to have another company handle the distribution of Herter's products.

Naturally, we wanted to ensure that our customers would still be treated to the best service possible. With that in mind, we are pleased to tell you that the exclusive distributor of Herter's products is one of the most trusted names in the outdoor industry - Cabela's."

Herter's Ammunition:
The price for those that love to shoot semi-auto's and full-auto's can be quite high, in keeping with the Herter's tradition of seeking out worldwide for the best price of good quality ammunition, that price can now be lowered considerably with Herter's low cost ammo distributed by Cabela's.

Herter's low cost ammunition may not be for everyone, the majority of shooters will find that Herter's bulk ammo is quite reliable and functional. If you are in doubt about this ammo just buy a small quantity and try it, if its what you are looking for in affordable ammunition, next time buy larger quantities. Currently these are the cheapest ammo prices that I know of for the .223, 9mm, .45 ACP and other cartridges where you need to purchase 500 to 1,000 round quantities.
This ammo works fine in true mil. spec. chambered firearms!

I bought a lot of "stuff" from Herter's back in the day "as they say". And was never dis satisfied. Still use some to this day. Their shoes and boots were cheap and some of the best. Loading gear great. I still misse'm

sidelock said:
I bought a lot of "stuff" from Herter's back in the day "as they say". And was never dis satisfied. Still use some to this day. Their shoes and boots were cheap and some of the best. Loading gear great. I still misse'm

Some of their stuff was "the best" and I have still not found suitable replacements for.

Unfortunately they made some very bad management decisions and never recovered. Gander Mountain also made some of the same mistakes but has managed to stay in business, although they are only a shadow of their former self.

Reading the Berger's catalog likely contributed to the tale-spinning attributes of many grizzled campfire ring sitters extant, perhaps subconsciously.
:blah: :haha:

Back