• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Here's one I'd never seen before

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looked at the muzzle again (this rifle is like a center fold girly pic) just cannot stop looking. Anyway I did not see any rifling wonder if the heart shape of the bore is like a false muzzle, purely for looks which transgresses in to a round bore.... I would like to see the bore with a bore light.

Looked at the muzzle again (this rifle is like a center fold girly pic) just cannot stop looking. Anyway I did not see any rifling wonder if the heart shape of the bore is like a false muzzle, purely for looks which transgresses in to a round bore.... I would like to see the bore with a bore light.
I just checked out the site again and here's what I found:
This is a gunsmiths tour de force where ingenuity and craftsmanship are added on top of rich decoration. All the external screws are concealed so the gun cannot be disassembled without knowing how to release a secret hidden catch to start the process. The barrel is part twisted to form a heart shape which acts as rifling as well as being designed to impress. Guns with unusual bore shapes were made as curiosities and demonstrations in the art of gunsmithing rather than for their accuracy in shooting.

Overall length 42.5 in. Barrel length 27.25 in. Bore (between grooves) 1/2 in.

The Carlton House Arms Catalogue, no. 749 notes that This curious twisted barrel gun was made at Saabruck in Germany it discharges a ball in the shape of a heart, a well finished gun.

Jacob Walster (active 1765) - Flintlock sporting rifle (Pirschbüchse)

On second look, it's pretty apparent that is the shape of the bore, and the whole barrel is twisted to as to produce de facto rifling.
Methinks your first thought was correct. Something like a deeply coned muzzle. The ball would be round and seated like any other rifle. The heart shaped muzzle would not affect the flight of the ball as it is (appears to be) larger than the bore.

Methinks your first thought was correct. Something like a deeply coned muzzle. The ball would be round and seated like any other rifle. The heart shaped muzzle would not affect the flight of the ball as it is (appears to be) larger than the bore.
Look up one post, #42........ It fired a heart shape projectile.

If this was the first of April rather that Feb, I'd think this an April fool's joke. I'm still suspicious.

Back