• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Here's one I'd never seen before

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look how far off center the front sight is.
Does that say something about the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of that novelty item?
From what I understand items like these were typically objets de virtu, a master craftsman showing off his abilities creating his artistic pièce de résistance. I wouldn't be surprised if it was never intended to be fired.

I have a hunch that the twist in the barrel is filed in there and the barrel itself beneath it is conventional. The conventional octagon shape behind the wedding band would seem to suggest that.

Flintlock sporting rifle (Pirschbüchse) c. 1765

185152-1309799164.jpg

185155-1309799191.jpg

185272-1309800354.jpg

456076-1400245536.jpg
What does it shoot?

"Guns with unusual bore shapes were made as curiosities and demonstrations in the art of gunsmithing rather than for their accuracy in shooting." From the website referring to the rifle.

So even without TV the "Forged in Fire" program concept was valid even as far back as the 18th century....,

"See what I can do?", is a universal trait in males, probably housed in the Y chromosome. 😅

LD

Look how far off center the front sight is.
Does that say something about the accuracy (or inaccuracy) of that novelty item?
That was my first thought too but given the twisted barrel to create the rifling effect the front sight may well be plumb and true to the rear sight, easy to check with a plumb line and level.

I did a paper in high school on the history of firearms, and read on the experimenting they did with getting the projectile to twist. Some tries were twisting bbls. I never seen one like that before. Usually they were square or oval.

I wonder if it is a smooth bore but the barrel twist imparted the rotation on the projectile, or was the barrel twisted first and the bore was cut straight afterwards? I also wish it had a mold for the projectile it shot, you can't call it a round ball or a bullet. DANNY

Latest posts

Back