Here's my two guns...

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

poco47

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Howdy, all!

I'm a new member here and I thought you might like to see my two guns. My first one is a 1.5" swivel gun tube, from South Bend Replica's, mounted on a naval carriage built from drawings in their catalog. It's pretty accurate for a smooth bore though, for the last few years, I generally use it to fire celebratory salutes. This gun gets the most use as it's a fairly easy to load into the back of the pickup. (Please excuse the dust.)

The second is my rough interpretation of a field gun. It has a 3" rifled bore and is a lot of fun to shoot with concrete-filled soup cans. Don't shoot it very much because of the high cost of powder these days.

Here's a photo of the first time I fired it in public.

ChrisPer

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Thanks for showing! Did you build the field gun carriage? It looks very real!

poco47

32 Cal.
Reaction score
It was a winter project completed with the help of several friends. Not an exact recreation by any means but not a bad effort fueled by more naive enthusiasm than money.

Grumpa

58 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Nice. Good on ye!
Many years ago, some fellows I knew touched one off out on their farm. Fifteen minutes later, a PA State Police car came flyin' down the lane, lights flashin' and siren wailin'.
Seems they had put a soup can through a barn side, a long ways off. Fortunately, nobody was hurt, and tempers were soothed. But a lesson was learned.

Hadn't thought of that in years.

satx78247

Cannon
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
Remind me to tell you sometime (It's a LONG, LONG, story.) about a group of us "boarding school brats" that built some full-size/live replicas of War of 1812 rockets & DESTROYED a milking parlor on a dairy farm.
(That didn't end up "real purty"!!!)

And then there was Cadet 1LT Mike H__________ (later KIA in RVN as an EOD guy), who nearly blew the whole school up making cannon powder for a 6-inch bore WBTS-style mortar, that our cadet corps had had built.

And then there was -------------.
(My youth was, I'm afraid, "rather mis-spent".)

yours, satx