• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Here's an odd one for everyone

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes/Tex

Cannon
Reaction score
I posted this pic elsewhere under comments about peep sights on muzzle loading rifles. Though more of a tunnel sight of bent metal, the rifle is identified as by J. Bender, c.1770 though the only J. Bender I can find listed is from Pennsylvania and c.1790. Some later period 'Kentucky' rifles have been found with his locks but it's now thought they were built of reworked with older locks. Who knows.

The tunnel sight with what appear to be small openings at the location of the read sight is unique and i don't recall ever seeing another example built in that fashion. Would certainly help define the sight picture. There was some speculation about a sniper type set-up but I feel that is unlikely. Just a curious rifle sight arrangement.

https://www.bevfitchett.us/modern-rifles/images/3511_23_9-bender-kentucky-rifle.jpg

Wes, that cover is called a sun shade and was\is used to block the suns rays while shooting in bright daylight.

The open rear sight is under the shade.

It is rare to find an original longrifle with it's shade but I have seen a few over the years.

Scloppetaria, Henry Beaufroy, 1808

"Where, however, particular nicety is required, as in firing matches and other trials of skill, (or in trying experiments) it is usual to procure a piece of bent iron or tin, to put over the after and fore sights, i.e. one over each. They are generally from four to eight inches long, and when put on the barrel, are useful in making the sights more distinct, by taking off the great glare of light. These are called shades, and are generally made like the frustum of a cone, having the base turned towards the eye, and when put on in the proper position, it looks as if the sights were placed in the center of a long, narrow arch."

Spence

Thank you both...felt it had to be the reason for it's being there was to make the sights more distinct. Several have tried to attribute to a sharpshooter's rifle but felt it more probably for target or even hunting in bright conditions. This is the only version I'd seen illustrated and have thought about replicating it. Sadly my vision has gotten to the place I've had to switch to the 'spray & pray' of a fowler! :wink: :haha:

Modern "Chunk Gun" shooters often use full length "Shaders" on their guns. It really makes a difference removing the glare on the front and rear sights.

Back