Heres a challenge for you

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

Reaction score
The rear sight once graced the barrel of a Springfield musket. The long leaf has had the disc attached to it and the short leaf is present too. It could have come from an 1855, 61 or 63 and possibly some of the other Springfields too. They had a somewhat unusual dovetail at the rear and a 10-32 screw into the barrel. This one has obviously been attached with a flat head wood screw and one can only guess what they did for a dovetail.

rickpa

40 Cal
Reaction score
The ingenuity of that peep sight makes me think that it belonged to some one who was serious about his shooting. I'd preserve it just the way it is unless you can find a competent person to restore it without making it look like brand new. It's a wonderful gun, your friend should be proud of it.

JB Books

36 Cl.
Reaction score
Or a vise jaw imprint.............
Possible I guess but I cant get past the spacing and somewhat round imprint. Unless the barrel was repositioned multiple times on the corner of the vice jaw. Personally my vice jaws have always been smooth. Never had the luxury of the nylon liners always use some scrap soft wood for protection. Learned that in metal shop in the 70s.

Latest posts