• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Heres a challenge for you

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Local guy inherited this from his dad.

Wants to know if it's anything special.

I told him I don't think so, even if it was special, its in such poor condition its sad.

20221109_154733.jpg
20221109_154750.jpg
20221109_154756.jpg
20221109_154802.jpg
20221109_154827.jpg
20221109_154852.jpg
20221109_154913.jpg
20221109_155133.jpg

Told him I'll ask the guys that have seen a few things.

No legible markings that I can find.

It might say 8444 on the one barrel flat.

Reading these threads I've seen where guys say that goulcher was a common lock back in the day.

With all the vise marks , and grinding depressions on the underneath barrel flat, my gut impressions is it has been cobbled together in someone's farm shop, or such with collected parts. Like this isn't the first gun that barrel has been used on.

I told him I don't think so, even if it was special, its in such poor condition its sad.

View attachment 173985View attachment 173986View attachment 173987View attachment 173988View attachment 173989View attachment 173990View attachment 173991View attachment 173993

As @Brazos John said, if you don’t know the history of this old girl, make up a good story. It deserves a good tale.

Based on the slight curve, or "fish belly," in the lower line of the butt stock, the walnut stock wood, and the oddly shaped guard that is open behind the rear trigger, the gun was probably made in New York in the late 1850s or 1860s. The gun started life as a hunting rifle and had target sights added later, as indicated by its current condition on top of the wrist area. The barrel was shortened during the gun's working life, as indicated by the rear sight sitting farther back than when new, and the old loop scars on the bottom flat of the barrel indicating barrel lugs were moved. Any maker's name stamp would now be on the top barrel flat rather close to the breech due to the barrel shortening at the breech; any name has probably been obliterated by percussion cap residue and years of use and handling.

About the best you can say about this heavily used rifle is that it was kept in service for many years, survived a number of alterations, and was "patched up" with stock repairs a couple of times. While not a valuable gun to collectors, it shows its value to the original owner by how long it was used, through a number of alterations and damages. It had a hard life, but it is a real survivor.

Shelby Gallien

Last edited:
Based on the slight curve, or "fish belly," in the lower line of the butt stock, the walnut stock, and the oddly shaped guard that is open behind the rear trigger, the gun was probably made in New York in the late 1850s or 1860s. The gun started life as a hunting rifle and had target sights added later, as indicated by its current condition on top of the wrist area. The barrel has been shortened during the gun's working life, as indicated by the rear sight being moved back and the old loop scars on the bottom side of the barrel indicating barrel lugs were moved. Any maker's name stamp would be on the top barrel flat rather close to the breech end since the barrel was shortened at the breech; any name has probably been obliterated by percussion cap residue and years of use and handling.

About the best you can say about this heavily used rifle was that it was kept in service for many years, survived a number of alterations, and was "patched up" with stock repairs a couple of times. While not a valuable gun to collectors, it shows its value to the original owner by how long it was used, through a number of alterations and damages. It had a hard life, but it is a real survivor.

Shelby Gallien

Thanks man.

View attachment 173985View attachment 173986View attachment 173987View attachment 173988View attachment 173989View attachment 173990View attachment 173991View attachment 173993

I rely like the LOLLY POP SIGHT ON IT!

He inherited it form his DAD ! that makes it special there ! Start digging on that history alone ! it is a well used and somewhat abused rife for sure ! Will gladly take it off his hands if he isnt interested in keeping it !

I would find a good BP gunsmith and have him fix a few things, new wedge, new ramrod and glue it back together etc. while aging the new parts and preserving the patina. Then I would display it proudly.

Back