• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Here we go down the Rabbit hole...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s amazing how one or two idiots can ruin it for everyone else! These stores should have fought these to the fullest! If not for them self’s for its customers.

Anthony

TO ALL

As I posted earlier, do not include politics in your posts. If you do, I will remove anything I consider to be political.
The subject is Cabela's and Bass Pro's latest actions.

Criminals are created by a blend of circumstances, personal choices and public opinion. My 27 year career in criminal justice shows me this daily. Even law abiding people can go off the rails sometimes.

Owning any kind of firearm, modern or obsolete, is a big responsibility. It makes sense to me that buying and selling them should be done in a responsible way. We live in a hard and uncertain world. Cabela’s and Bass Pro have at least done ‘’something“ to try and mitigate

Cabelas and Bass Pro were doing exactly what they were supposed to be doing, following federal law concerning firearms, the criminal, by his own personal choice , nothing else, decided to break the law and shoot someone, as tragic as it is, it’s no ones fault but the criminal, he could just have easily ordered a set of knives off the late night shopping channel and slashed and stabbed someone, should we do “something” and stop mail order ginsu knives also, stop blaming the object and put the blame where it belongs, the criminal !

Last edited by a moderator:
Criminals are created by a blend of circumstances, personal choices and public opinion. My 27 year career in criminal justice shows me this daily. Even law abiding people can go off the rails sometimes.

Owning any kind of firearm, modern or obsolete, is a big responsibility. It makes sense to me that buying and selling them should be done in a responsible way. We live in a hard and uncertain world. Cabela’s and Bass Pro have at least done ‘’something“ to try and mitigate

I've got more than thirty years as an LEO in an urban area...,
Have to disagree with the viewpoint about Cabela's.

With the large population of folks in poor circumstances, if it were truly more than personal choice, we'd be up to our armpits in firearm toting felons. YET it is absolutely a fact, based on close to a century of data, that half of the violent crime is from repeat offenders, and they occupy only abut 1½ percent of the total population. Adding "responsible" laws to "mitigate" this, has done nothing to stem the situation. Which leads to the logical conclusion, a) that such laws are not actually addressing the cause, and b) continuously repeating the passing of new laws which have not worked in the past is futile.
"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results"

LD

This so-far respectful discussion is rife with emotive points. So I will reply once more and step away.

We all know that most human beings will comply with rules/laws that benefit all of a society. We all agree to drive on the same side of the road, we respect our neighbor’s property boundaries etc…
However that minority of the population that will not comply with rules for the common good, a tiny fraction of overall population they are; they cause enough problems to justify the creation of a police force. The few frustrate the many to the point that the many say ‘we have to do something about this’.
No human being ever made a law with any power in itself. It is the morality and good sense of individual people to chose to comply with it that makes a law effective (or not)

Thank you to the moderator.

" The replicas are based on antique technology but made with modern materials, and in some circumstances, they can be as deadly as modern firearms."

The above was in the article. Must be city folk that wrote the above. And he should study his history a wee bit better.

No human being ever made a law with any power in itself. It is the morality and good sense of individual people to chose to comply with it that makes a law effective (or not)

Actually that's not it at all.

IF the above were true, why do people with good morality and sense need a law written in the first place? Human writing is only about 5200 years old..., human societies go back much much farther. People don't go around as a group "choosing" not to rape, arson, rob, steal, or murder, because somebody wrote down a law and the majority of the rest of the people said, "that's sounds good; I'm going to comply". For most of human history, laws were not written, yet anarchy was not the norm. ;)

It's not morality that caused compliance at all. Human beings have only one basic instinct. Survival. Morality and good sense are a veneer that is easily stripped away when folks think their survival may be at stake, or if they think they are normally living at a survival level. Just look at how many human lemmings have accepted every word from Fauci, the CDC, and WHO, even when a) the math didn't support the claims, and b) no actual study or studies had been conducted to provide the science. Look at how many folks, who have never been accused of a felony, or even a misdemeanor, participate in looting during civil unrest.

I can also point to human societies where their "moral code" is quite different from what you're talking about. For the above to be correct..., it would have to be universal. The reality is, that it's not.

Written laws and policing are present for the small portion of the population, that will choose to test what the vast majority simply would not do...what we today call a "criminal act". They are only a deterrent when two factors are present.

a) The population that may have some criminal intent, believe they are likely to be caught if they act in a criminal manner.
b) The population that may have some criminal intent, believe that when caught they will undergo a punishment that they will find most unpleasant.

Add to that a third factor. Among the population that may have criminal intent, some have violent intent. OF these, some will test the first two principals, and in those cases, a third factor is needed, and that is:

c) removal from the free population.

There are three types of "removal". These are banishment, incarceration, and execution. The first is not really part of Western Civilization these days, and the last is rapidly being removed as an option. Locking a non-compliant person, whose morals allow them to choose to do violence, is all that is left.

So TODAY what we are seeing is a rise in criminal activity because....,
Those committing the crimes don't think they will be caught, AND they EXPECT that if they are caught, they will not receive an unpleasant punishment. Look at the large numbers of felons who get low sentences, or are released back into the community due to "bail reform" or who get "time off for good behavior", or "time served". Especially the juvenile criminals. No real punishment; parents don't face punishment either.

LD

My friend who left Chicago told me this: the next door neighbors kid was arrested 8 times, yes 8 times, for carrying a concealed handgun, possession of ammo, and a plethora of other weapon offenses. Was bailed out every time. No jail time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back