• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Here She is

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
jdkerstetter said:
:eek:ff ....but If anybody wants to see some really crazy curly maple they should go over there just to see the Warren Fitzgerald atributed original Virginia rifle.

Wood like that don't grow on trees :shocked2: WOW!!!

What would a blank like that cost today? I am certainly not worthy.

Enjoy, J.D.

It says the gun stock is tiger striped Oak. :shocked2:

I would hope it would be O.K. as it is really a must see.....regularly and often. :thumbsup:

Even if they do post an occasional Mike Brooks gun over there. :rotf:

Odd there are no TVM guns though:hmm:

Enjoy, J.D.

jdkerstetter said:
Well, what's your opinion? Could you tell the difference between Jud's guns and a TVM?

Jud is quite a craftsman. Just google "Jud Brennan rifle" and see what comes up. There is no mistaking his work for any semi-custom gun makers. A bad comparison perhaps? J.D.
It's impossible to say with certainty because I've never encountered the situation. But I know quality and if I understand you correctly that is what we are discussing - craftsmanship. Perhaps you have reason to have such a low opinion of people, but I find it hard to say that most people cannot tell the difference in craftsmanship between a $2,000 item and a similar, $50,000 piece. Now, likes and dislikes are another matter. For the two pieces I looked at, I thought they were "ugly". I simply don't care much for the golden age gun with all the foofaraw. I'd like to see his representation of an early period- say 1760 to 1770 - York or Lancaster; and compare it to his representation of an an early period Upper Valley Virginia rifle. Now you lay these beside a TMV and I could still tell the difference.

I'm still waiting for my first rifle to arrive, but I know of one area that I think is definitely poorly done on most TVM's and probably a second area.

But during the Revolutionary War, craftsmen were churning out rifles as fast as they could. Do you think the quality of these rifles matched the fine individually made pre-war rifles. Of course you don't. This is the probable level of quality that TVM should be compared to.

Sir, Before we go down this road again please refer to this post from earlier in this string:

trucker said:
if someone posted a picture of a Jud Brennen rifle i doubt 80% of the forum"experts" would know the difference in it and an avance rifle :idunno:

You see, I made no such comparison. I was merely pointing out the aspersions cast on the "experts" in this other post were not warrented. I neither cast the first or any stone for that matter, and have not issued insults to any individual on this board.

I will thank you to rephrase or retract....if you choose to ignore so be it. J.D.

Unfortunately the edit function is disabled when the next comment is posted, but you are correct, I misspoke.

jdkerstetter said:
You see, I made no such comparison. I was merely pointing out the aspersions cast on the "experts" in this other post were not warrented.
I neither cast the first or any stone for that matter, and have not issued insults to any individual on this board.

Careful you don't pat yourself on the back too hard and hurt yourself...unless I miss my guess there seems to be a full measure of self righteousness holier-than-thou attitude in your post there but I might be wrong of course.
It's just that by definition, many of your blitz of posts as a newcomer seem to be very troll like in nature....indeed, in this very case...and it's no more proper and appropriate than the claims you're making against this other member.

jdkerstetter said:
Odd there are no TVM guns though
:hmm:

jdkerstetter said:
if you choose to ignore so be it. J.D

I don't think the "ignore" choice will be a problem for most members...

Enjoy !!

:thumbsup:

This is a general reply to a number of questions and statements of recent posting. The rifle in question is NOT a copy or replica of any existing gun unless it happens to resemble some anonymous 18th century builder, which is possible. It is a finely crafted rendition of an early Lancaster County rifle and nothing more or less. I consider this makes it HC/PC, IMO.

It is beautifully balanced and very light in weight and rather petite in my eyes. And it kicks.

Matt doesn't use fast production methods; each gun is built by hand from a BOARD and he has NO dup machine. He does have assistants and each has a particular job and Matt is the final fitter - just as it was done 250 years ago. He uses hand tools and a band saw.

Let's see, can't recall everything but I will say my intent in posting pics was NOT to get praise but simply to show (like everyone else) my new toy. I like to see pics of others' guns and few if any are not of my liking. :v

Agh! We shouldn't have to explain or apologize for the rifles we like. :surrender:

Oh, and Hanshi, your rifle is nice enough to look at that I didn't even notice the martial-arts mats that it is sitting on until now. (Ah memories.)

Thanks Swampy,

Missed that....curly oak!?!?

I bet Fred Miller will laugh me out of his shop when I ask him if he has any, but maybe not. I got some really tight curly ash off him.....heavy and hard.

I pulled the pictures of this rifle up full size and it becomes allot more obvious with the cross grain.

What a beauty. J.D.

Ignore me? :hmm: That's funny. You can't even ignore me when I'm not adressing you. It was clear that post was directed and responded to by Number19.

Anyway, that troll stuff is ridiculous and basing ones opinion of someone by how many post they have on a given web-site is juvenile.

If you consider that comment about TVM a personal attack it's your choice. Making a comment about a companies business practices is not an attack on an individual. I am sure Matt Avance is a better and more expierienced builder than I am, he just chooses to do something different and it works for him. I'm happy to see anybody succeed.

Oh, and I know you are reading this....so much for ignoring me. :grin: And if trolls didn't have such thick skins you might have hurt my feelings. :thumbsup:

Are we done now? Because has really gotten :eek:ff Enjoy....and good night, J.D.

Thanks for the heads-up Stumpkiller. :hatsoff:

:stir: But, it appears there's a line forming, with a fight to see who goes first. :grin:

I'm used to sleeping with my eyes open anyway. :thumbsup:

This is fun :rotf: Good night again, J.D.

Trench said:
Oh, and Hanshi, your rifle is nice enough to look at that I didn't even notice the martial-arts mats that it is sitting on until now. (Ah memories.)

Good eyes, Trench. That's been my life for more than 50 years though now I'm "officially" retired. But old martial artists don't retire, they just hang around backstage. Still travel to Ga a couple times a year to teach a clinic. The new rifle testifies to where my passions are focused, now.

Ignore me? That's funny. You can't even ignore me when I'm not adressing you.
There is a feature on this board called an "Ignore List" it enables you not to see any posts of anyone that you put on said list. Roundball has an ignore list as long as my arm. Anyone that posts anything he doesn't like goes on it. I, of course am on it. :grin: I can go tell him to pound sand if I wanted to and he'd be none the wiser as he can't read my posts. :haha:

Your welcome and bookmark the link if you haven't already as they change the stuff on display all the time. :thumbsup:

Mike, Really? Block all post from an individual? Imagine the information missed! :shake:

Their loss. Enjoy, J.D.

Mike Brooks said:
Ignore me? That's funny. You can't even ignore me when I'm not adressing you.
There is a feature on this board called an "Ignore List" it enables you not to see any posts of anyone that you put on said list. Roundball has an ignore list as long as my arm. Anyone that posts anything he doesn't like goes on it. I, of course am on it. :grin: I can go tell him to pound sand if I wanted to and he'd be none the wiser as he can't read my posts. :haha:

Yup, allwos him to make statements like "the majority agree with me" and be somewhat correct as those that don't agree are in the box and he can't see them anyway.

Kinda a legend in his own mind thing

:slap:

jdkerstetter said:
Mike, Really? Block all post from an individual? Imagine the information missed! :shake:

Their loss. Enjoy, J.D.

This is exactly my thoughts, I figure that I can learn from anybody even if I don't care for the individuals personality.

His is a kind of dictatorship mentality

Mike, Really? Block all post from an individual? Imagine the information missed!
That's right. If you don't want to learn anything you don't have to. :haha:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back