• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Henry's patent Elevator - adjustable cheek-piece for match rifles.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just a quick post that I thought I would add to the fantastic knowledge base here on our forum. The purpose of this article is to share the documentation I was able to find on Alexander Henry's patent Elevator which is an adjustable cheek-piece for English pattern match rifles.

The reason for my search on this invention is my Son who is a junior black powder shooter recently purchased a replica of an English pattern match rifle which includes a copy of this device and this started my search for documentation for it so we have some evidence of its origins should we be challenged by a match scrutineer at any time.

So below are my search results:

Example on an original period match rifle - Alexander Henry Target Rifle Belonging to Col. Frederick Trench-Gascoi scroll through to see some good detail pics of it.

The documentation I was after, the listing of Alexander Henry Letters Patent A.D. 1861 22nd April No.1000 can be found here - English Patents of Inventions, Specifications scroll to page 292 0f 465 to view.

And it makes a “cameo” appearance years later here on patent No. 201,524 dated March 19, 1878 here - https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/c3/ff/0d/e710f98cbd599d/US201524.pdf

One detail that I found interesting when viewing the original period match rifle pics in the link above is the patent stamp marking makes reference to “HENRYS PATENT ELEVATOR No. 89” I could only assume that the No. 89 is a serial number for the device as I have seen pics of other rifles with an assortment of random numbers in this marking.

Regards, broadarrow.

Hi Colonial Boy, here is a pic of his rifle we are picking up this week. Attached at the muzzle in this pic is the detachable false muzzle and short starter. The front sight was not in place when this pic was taken as it was in its storage case.
Target Rifle Custom Build by Ian Johnson approx. 1980’s barrel from WA, Stanton lock IJ101192 ...jpg

Back