Helping an ignorant man

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum:

Reaction score
All,
Looking to finish an outfit for around 1750-60 for shoots, not an impression. I need a hat, Weskit, and leggings. Have the shirt fall front trouser, and shoes.
Would the leggings/gaiters in the link below work for that time?
That style is mostly military. Civilians could wear them but was mostly a military item. Civilians would be a little more common with a simple fold over and sewn.
What sort of hat were you thinking. A tricorn, slouch hat folded on one side or not at all, a bonnet, workman’s cap, Monmouth cap, straw hat would all be acceptable

Reaction score
I was leaning towards a slouch hat or straw, as shoots I might attend are more in the sunner months. I found a variety of straw hats, but most didn't seem to fit the time.
For gaiter/leggings would I be better off cutting an old wool blanket that I have?

Reaction score
I was leaning towards a slouch hat or straw, as shoots I might attend are more in the sunner months. I found a variety of straw hats, but most didn't seem to fit the time.
For gaiter/leggings would I be better off cutting an old wool blanket that I have?
Yes a ‘harder’ thinner blanket is great. Even an OD military can be dyed.
A black canvas will work.
It’s good to have a helper. You stand while someone else wraps and pins the cloth. Eastern style leggings tended to stop about one palm above the knee and were tight.
Until about 1800 when we see leggings on eastern Indians the seam runs on the side. Then we see center seam ones. I don’t know that’s a valid argument for side seam only. I do know if your making them your self center is a lot easier

Reaction score
I made my civilian tricorn out of a brown felt blank and a combat boot lace. Along with a silk lining from a store made hat.
Where did you get your blank from, if I may ask? Also, does one need a liner?
I looked at Crazy Crow and saw they have blanks.
I have a military issue blanket I may use for gaiters/leggings, found a lady on FB that makes a very reasonable weskit in 1750s style (just have to order it), and trying to sort out the hat.
I won't be wearing the outfit often, as it is only for a shoot here and there, so I'm not going to break the bank.
I appreciate the input folks.

Reaction score
Where did you get your blank from, if I may ask? Also, does one need a liner?
I looked at Crazy Crow and saw they have blanks.
I have a military issue blanket I may use for gaiters/leggings, found a lady on FB that makes a very reasonable weskit in 1750s style (just have to order it), and trying to sort out the hat.
I won't be wearing the outfit often, as it is only for a shoot here and there, so I'm not going to break the bank.
I appreciate the input folks.
Crazy Crow is less expensive and a good start. Although ‘costume’ they are in general average type clothing for the time.
Clothing fit and wore different in the past. Some things will seem uncomfortable. However it’s not so, it’s just different. Men and women lived in these clothes. They worked, they played. They sat by the fire with a tankard and socialized.
Put on your outfit and get in to the woods.
Set up your camp, make dinner, wear it to the range and shoot. Learn how the clothing feels, learn how the foot ware feels.
All that seems weird and too much soon feels comfortable and normal.
Just as with shooting an ml or driving a car for that matter, wearing the dress is a matter of teaching your body to do it.
Don’t just drag it out for an event. Any more then you would only shoot at an event. Wear them so you don’t have to think about them

Reaction score
...Wear them so you don’t have to think about them
Agreed. Especially fun to wear them to town when you go for groceries, or to the coffee shop. Fun to see how people react, who has the courage to say or ask something, and of course the kids either dig it or are terrified of it. It's good to push folks out of their comfort zone.

Loyalist Dave

Cannon
Staff member
Reaction score
All,
Looking to finish an outfit for around 1750-60 for shoots, not an impression. I need a hat, Weskit, and leggings. Have the shirt fall front trouser, and shoes.

So if you have fall front trousers, WHY are you thinking of leggings? Planning on a lot of cold weather shooting?
Leggings and military gaiters when it isn't cold out, are really only for busting brush. IF you don't need to wear them, then do not.
Better to work on a nice waistcoat.

LD

BJamesBeck

32 Cal.
Reaction score
All,
I used this tutorial (with a few slight adjustments) to make the leggings I am wearing in the photo below, also the frock I am wearing is from crazy crow with some dye adjustment by me. Their stuff isn't top of the line, but with a little adjustment it's more than passable.

One tip I would have on the leggings is cut them big first. Pin them up the side to fit tight, and then sew. Before you cut off any of the excess material, wear them for a bit and let them stretch a bit and give yourself time to feel where they need altered. I prefer mine really tight around the ankle, so that's where I needed to adjust. I can barely slide my foot through in the ankle area now but once they're on they fit great!
VideoCapture_20211009-133011.jpg

Reaction score
The nice thing about Townsends is they usually have a couple different qualities of the same item. ""Costume" items are usually relatively inexpensive and then they have some higher quality items as well.
I have breeches, jackets, scarfs, hats etc. from them. Other stuff from Crazy Crow, Cabin Creek and hand sewn stuff from friends etc.
It is amazing the stuff we accumulate after doing this for decades.

Reaction score
So if you have fall front trousers, WHY are you thinking of leggings? Planning on a lot of cold weather shooting?
Leggings and military gaiters when it isn't cold out, are really only for busting brush. IF you don't need to wear them, then do not.
Better to work on a nice waistcoat.

LD
I wa at Ft Charters in November last year. Temps got down to freezing at night. I sleep on the ground and under blankets. I do cheat with my ground pad, that insulates a lot from the chilly soil.
I wore woolen leggings over my breaches though I pull my stockings off to change in am
Slept comfy
April I was back and night time temps were the same. Days however were projected to be toasty. I didn’t take my leggings
And my comfort level was not as high
I used to wear leggings routinely with breaches and oft with trousers.
I justified it as the same thinking as an over shirt. Protect the clothing underneath. Yet though we find plenty of art work showing working men in some sort of smock we almost never see anything protecting breeches and stockings.
I now only wear wool leggings a field or in cold weather

bodark

32 Cal
Reaction score
I used this tutorial (with a few slight adjustments) to make the leggings I am wearing in the photo below, also the frock I am wearing is from crazy crow with some dye adjustment by me. Their stuff isn't top of the line, but with a little adjustment it's more than passable.

One tip I would have on the leggings is cut them big first. Pin them up the side to fit tight, and then sew. Before you cut off any of the excess material, wear them for a bit and let them stretch a bit and give yourself time to feel where they need altered. I prefer mine really tight around the ankle, so that's where I needed to adjust. I can barely slide my foot through in the ankle area now but once they're on they fit great!
View attachment 142710
Where is this tutorial? I like the look you’ve put together.

Latest posts