• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Helped a new muzzleloader get started yesterday

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biliff

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Was out shooting my flintlock at the club's 5-Stand yesterday, when I was approached by another member asking if I knew anyplace that had percussion caps. He had apparently just finished building a traditions kit and while he had found powder (pyrodex) he was SOL finding caps. Ended up digging around in my range box and found a tin of CCI#11's that I gave to him. Also gave him the standard spiel about our monthly muzzleloader match and my contact info if he needed help. Hopefully, I will be seeing him at the BP range.

Can't believe we've gone so far down the rabbit hole a guy can't even get caps.

Very thoughtful, biliff.

It appears there are quite a few of us newbies to the black powder world, but we are mostly of a certain "vintage". How old do you think the guy is? I enjoy hearing about younger people getting into the sport.

Very thoughtful, biliff.

It appears there are quite a few of us newbies to the black powder world, but we are mostly of a certain "vintage". How old do you think the guy is? I enjoy hearing about younger people getting into the sport.

Probably in his 50's. Our gun club has several youth programs (Boy Scouts, Junior Precision rifle team, shotgun, etc.). I did a youth intro to muzzleloading class before the pandemic hit. Hoping to get it going again in the near future. But, young or not, a new muzzleloader is a good thing.

Always a pleasure to help out new entries to the sport/hobby. Thankfully our club had procured some caps when available and hopefully they will hold out until supply becomes a little more steady. Went through this before and it was a good 2 years before supply came around.

Was out shooting my flintlock at the club's 5-Stand yesterday, when I was approached by another member asking if I knew anyplace that had percussion caps. He had apparently just finished building a traditions kit and while he had found powder (pyrodex) he was SOL finding caps. Ended up digging around in my range box and found a tin of CCI#11's that I gave to him. Also gave him the standard spiel about our monthly muzzleloader match and my contact info if he needed help. Hopefully, I will be seeing him at the BP range.

I just joined the forum yesterday. My father and grandfather both enjoyed Muzzleloader hunting when I was younger. My Great Grandfather did as well. My Great Grandfather had an old Maryland Militia Musket, my Grandfather had a .45 Thompson Center Seneca and my Father had a Renegade .50. I used to use my Grandfather's .45 Seneca later my father's after his passing. My Grandfather couldn't hold it in his later years so he hunted with a .45 pistol he made from a kit he bought at a Murphy's Mart. I got out of Muzzleloading as it seemed too complicated compared to a brand new one and done rifle. Now I realised that I need to revisit Muzzleloading because it seems more fun to me than a one and done rifle. I hope I can find some information and guidance on this forum.

I just joined the forum yesterday. My father and grandfather both enjoyed Muzzleloader hunting when I was younger. My Great Grandfather did as well. My Great Grandfather had an old Maryland Militia Musket, my Grandfather had a .45 Thompson Center Seneca and my Father had a Renegade .50. I used to use my Grandfather's .45 Seneca later my father's after his passing. My Grandfather couldn't hold it in his later years so he hunted with a .45 pistol he made from a kit he bought at a Murphy's Mart. I got out of Muzzleloading as it seemed too complicated compared to a brand new one and done rifle. Now I realised that I need to revisit Muzzleloading because it seems more fun to me than a one and done rifle. I hope I can find some information and guidance on this forum.

Glad you're thinking about it again. Might want to put your location in your avatar and see if somebody local can help get you started.

This is the type of kindness that has kept me in this sport for so many years.

Back