• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tobie

40 Cal
Reaction score
Yesterday, I got a rifle, a 32 cal, advertised as having a Colerain bbl. This gun is a wreck, no marking on the bbl. at all, the rear sight is crooked in it's dovetail, the front sight looks like it as worked on with a chisel, the buttplate and toe plate aren't even close to meeting.
Bought this gun off of Gunbroker and could not see these faults. The guy says "no returns" but there's no way that I could see these problems from the photos provided.
What should I do? Since the gun was handled by the USPS- should I file a fraud claim with them or give the guy a chance to refund my money?

I would talk to gunbroker first. Then maybe try the P.O. but I don't think you will get much sympathy from them. Did you pay by credit card by chance? You can contact the card company and get the payment reversed.

Sometimes the seller will give you 3 days or so to inspect and return if not satisfied. I'd stay away from that site unless you get about 30 pictures from ALL angles and ask about 100 questions about what you're buying.

Yesterday, I got a rifle, a 32 cal, advertised as having a Colerain bbl. This gun is a wreck, no marking on the bbl. at all, the rear sight is crooked in it's dovetail, the front sight looks like it as worked on with a chisel, the buttplate and toe plate aren't even close to meeting.
Bought this gun off of Gunbroker and could not see these faults. The guy says "no returns" but there's no way that I could see these problems from the photos provided.
What should I do? Since the gun was handled by the USPS- should I file a fraud claim with them or give the guy a chance to refund my money?
As was suggested, you can tell Gunbroker about it but that probably won't do much.

Your experience is the hazard of buying things on he web when all you have to judge the thing is a few pictures and the sellers description.
As far as a description goes, it basically means nothing. Because everyone sees things differently, what is a "beautiful, well made gun" to the seller may be a disaster to you. A "good bore" can be a rusty hole. "Works great" may only work two times out of ten tries but the seller can say, "The fact that it works at all is "great"."

The last time I bought something off GB, they asked you to give feedback on the seller just like Ebay does. You can give the seller a negative “buyer beware” feedback. But first I would contact the seller with your complaint. If he blows you off contact GB and file a complaint with them to try and resolve this fraud by false description. Also, can you give us the seller’s GB name so we don’t do business with them. Good luck

The last time I bought something off GB, they asked you to give feedback on the seller just like Ebay does. You can give the seller a negative “buyer beware” feedback. But first I would contact the seller with your complaint. If he blows you off contact GB and file a complaint with them to try and resolve this fraud by false description. Also, can you give us the seller’s GB name so we don’t do business with them. Good luck

This Exactly! "Buyer Beware" is a instant AVOID on GB.

Thanks, the description that he gave was that it has a Colerain barrel. There are no maker marks on the barrel.

The only way I would buy from Gunbroker is if the rifle was signed by someone I am familiar with or the seller gives an inspection period.
I would give the seller an F rating with explanation until things are settled one way or the other. The ratngs can be changed any time. They aren't locked in. I have bought two guns from GB. One production rifle and one custom fowler. Both worked out OK.

I have purchased several BP and cartridge guns from Gun Broker, and have had only one bad experience. Read all the feedback reviews carefully and stay away from fuzzy sparse pictures or ANY hint of bad reviews. The one Pedersoli inline arrived well packed with the front sight and stripped mounting screw in the bottom of the package. It was an "as is" item but pictured a normal mounted front sight. I contacted both the seller and GB. I received a full refund for the bid price but lost the shipping cost both ways. In hindsight this was a high volume seller with a few negative reviews that always blamed the buyer. He probably did not know the sight mount was striped but was unwilling to lose any money on the return, he got a F review and counter-replied that he fixed it in two minutes. Super- glue and punch ???

FWIW, IME Gunbroker ALWAYS sides with the client paying them the commission on the sale - aka: the seller.

The best you can usually do with them is to give the seller a bad feedback.

Since it went USPS, there's a slim-to-none chance that the USPS Postal Inspector complaint might get the transaction a look for fraud.

Latest posts

Back