• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Help With Threading Lock Bolt Blank

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flintlock00

32 Cal
Reaction score
Reaching out to the builders out there for advice...

I was trying to make a 10-32 lock bolt from a piece of round shock and for the life of me could not get the die to cut threads. I have no trouble with tapping holes, but am inexperienced with bolts.
It's a Craftsman Tap and Die set, I tapered the bolt. reduced the OD to .180 like other store bought bolts (see photo), and bore down on the die stock with all the force I could muster for many tries.
No luck in getting it to start. To my knowledge, this die has never been used, and I did use the side marked Start This Side- with the relief. I even heated the bolt and tried to get it started with no success.
If files and cuts off the workpiece OK so hardness doesn't appear to be an issue. Any suggestions are appreciated. (Yeah I know, spend 5 bucks and buy one!) Just trying to expand my skills and do it myself.. Thanks for help.

Attachments

• Bolt.jpg
    Bolt.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 3
Start with a longer screw than needed and taper the end some.

This will help the NEW die cut threads easier.

Cut the screw to final length after the threading is complete.

Use plenty of quality lubricant. Tap magic is the cat's meow.

Some dies are only good for freshing old threads and not for cutting them.

Thanks, guys- Yes I did use cutting oil, and I am hand starting the die stock with the bolt in a vice. The comments about die purpose may be the answer, but the instructions with the set did not indicate limitations on die use. Nevertheless, a good quality die sounds like a good idea.

Reaching out to the builders out there for advice...

I was trying to make a 10-32 lock bolt from a piece of round shock and for the life of me could not get the die to cut threads. I have no trouble with tapping holes, but am inexperienced with bolts.
It's a Craftsman Tap and Die set, I tapered the bolt. reduced the OD to .180 like other store bought bolts (see photo), and bore down on the die stock with all the force I could muster for many tries.
No luck in getting it to start. To my knowledge, this die has never been used, and I did use the side marked Start This Side- with the relief. I even heated the bolt and tried to get it started with no success.
If files and cuts off the workpiece OK so hardness doesn't appear to be an issue. Any suggestions are appreciated. (Yeah I know, spend 5 bucks and buy one!) Just trying to expand my skills and do it myself.. Thanks for help.
Hey 00, Silly Question??
Are you using a Slit Die or a Solid one ?
You should use a Split opened to the Max the Stock allows then tighten down when you have a start.
Dose your Die Actually have a Taper in the Start Side ? Check the other side !!
If it doesn't have a taper ,Find one that does have. You'll stand a better chance. O.D.

Last edited:
I have cut an 8x32 down to 6x32 using a Craftsman die. You have to have a good bit of taper to get it to bite. A lock bolt doesn't need 100% threads. All it has top do is keep the lock plate snug against the flat. Turn the blank down for easier cutting.

Last edited:
I can only tell you how I do this, first put a slight chamfer on the edge of the stock this allows the die to center a little better.
Don't let any more than necessary extend above the vise this keeps the stock straight and less likely to move around as your cutting. Keep oil well and reverse cut to remove burrs often.

I got a die that is made by Greenfield that has no threads cut into it. It must have been missed by QC and left the factory as a blank.

SUCCESS! Here's the end result. Thanks to the replies I was able to figure this out. Up front I reported using a Craftsman die set which would not cut new threads despite containing separate instructions for cutting threads and chasing out existing threads. I did not know about the differences between hex and round dies, (mine was a solid hex set) and received guidance here on using round and slotted dies. I ordered round split dies from Home Depot- quite inexpensive at about 8-9 bucks each, and used the 10-32 one today. Started right away, and cut easily. So, I learned a lesson here from Forum Members, and am better off for it. Thank you all for the insight, and suggestions. Somewhere on this Forum you will find an answer to just about any problem we may encounter. Great resource.

Latest posts

Back