• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with this gun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryinhard

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I stopped by the local pawn shop and he had a Royal Gun Works made in Belgium percussion rifle. It has a piece of paper taped to the side of the stock that says 577 cal. It's short like a canoe gun. Any help and what it's worth appreciated. guys thought first.

Plate on the side.

Overall look of the gun.

Thanks guys!

I didn't know that Royal Gun Works ever produced "cap guns".

I have a late 1800's, .380 falling block Pieper, from Royal Gun Works.

Assuming the company didn't change much from the 30 or 40 years earlier when that rifle pictured might have been built, it would have been sold as an "every day" gun for the average working man.

My rifle, in excellent condition, is worth about half as much as the cost of a new, low end Remington or Winchester product.

Little to no collector value unless it was in original/unfired condition (and then still not a great audience - have considered pulling the barrel and turning it into a 38 cal muzzle loader since the ball for a 36 cal cap/ball would patch nicely).

So sorry, can't give you an estimate for that rifle but would suspect that it is probably worth far less than the shop wants for it if the price tag is over 100 bucks.

You can buy an H&R single shot for 100 bucks and in 100 years it might be worth $50 - that's the kind of company Royal was (in it's day).

Fifty bucks max and then ONLY if everything works and the barrel doesn't look like a sewer pipe.

Back