• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with stuck bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, that was why I asked if you are absolutely sure that the bullet was still in there. I've seen that more than once where someone thought they had a bullet in, kept trying to pull it, they thought they had lead in the threads, but it was actually just powder and fouling from the breach.
It is good to have your ramrod marked for an empty chamber as well as loaded.
I'm glad your bore is clear!

Assuming your ramrod has a metal tip, if you drop it down the barrel can you not simply hear the difference in sound between a loaded and unloaded gun when the tip hits the bottom?

I am having a good laugh at my own expense this morning..I have done some stupid stuff over the years, but getting this stuck was a humbling experience. However, along the way some good things happened..
1. I learned alot (thanks to you guys),
2. I supported the economy (bought a bunch of new tools ...borescope, aluminum ramrod with a “T” type end piece, couple bullet pullers,...
3. I Put my brain to work and made a new tool to help get a bullet puller started (see pic)....which I never got a chance to use...YET:)
4. I Found this super helpful forum offering great advice
5. And made some friends along the way!

thanks again to all. I will definitely be using your advice and DEFINITELY doing what you said...marking the ramrod, firing caps after shooting,....and the list goes on.

I wish you all the best. headed to the range to throw some lead!

Attachments

• D87E5D91-5573-4456-9D0B-151E32AAED1E.jpeg
    D87E5D91-5573-4456-9D0B-151E32AAED1E.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 132
Assuming your ramrod has a metal tip, if you drop it down the barrel can you not simply hear the difference in sound between a loaded and unloaded gun when the tip hits the bottom?
If there is a layer of fouling at the breech, there can be a dull thump as the metal tip of the rod lands on the fouling.

If there is the ball puller on the tip of the range rod, the empty line will be the length of the ball puller above the muzzle unless the coarse threads on the end of the puller enter the chambered breech (if the firearm has a chambered breech).

Ah... I only shoot pistols with a patent breech (chambered breech, same thing?) and always get a nice ring with my loading funnel or ramrod. It’s how I ‘prove clear’ at the range.

That's like more of a matter of experience. A new shooter has a lot to learn and small nuances like the ring of steel on a wood rod is something that comes with time and rounds downrange. It's a journey we all start and never finish.......

I should invest in bullet pullers and a steel "T" range rod. Been muzzleloading since 1994 and never a stuck ball.

I should invest in bullet pullers and a steel "T" range rod. Been muzzleloading since 1994 and never a stuck ball.
I chose the heavy brass rod with a T handle. So I am told over and over the steel rods can be damaging to the rifling.
Personally I have never seen this type of damage but for me - I decided to mitigate that as much as possible.
I got mine from October country (both of them) They are very good quality.

October Country? Thank you for that.

Several times, immediately after bragging to myself or others "how good at X I am" Y happens! It's like God was reminding me to be humble. I might should get the right tools to fix this eventuality.

October Country? Thank you for that.

Several times, immediately after bragging to myself or others "how good at X I am" Y happens! It's like God was reminding me to be humble. I might should get the right tools to fix this eventuality.
Had to laugh out loud for that one. My life in a mirror my friend!

Glad I made you laugh. Most often this happens when I am shaving and think "gosh I'm good at this" and immediately I cut myself. Happened a couple of weeks ago. Paper cut, just enough to remind me not to think that way.

I shave with a straight razor, 1920 or earlier vintage.

LOL, that's one thing I have not done in 50 years. My kids and grandkids have never seen me without a beard.
I do have my grandfathers straight razor, which he got from his father. It has to be as old as yours if not older.
It's plain jane with no makers marks and has a hickory handle. It does not fold like most I have seen.

I should get or at least make a good bullet puller. I have only had to use one once and it didn't work because I just had one of those thick screws that are mostly useless. It happened because I grabbed the wrong ball. It was a size too big. By the time I noticed, it was too late, had it in too far, so having no tools to get it out, I figured I would just drive it the rest of the way in. I git it half way and it wouldn't go any farther. So now, I can't shoot it out because it's half way, and I can't pull it out where I am so that ended my day. Went and got it out.

I usually just shoot them out but like I said it was only half way. After that I started carrying at least two guns to the range. I had had other problems. Getting older it's seems like every time I would go to the range I would end up with some issue or another because I would forget something, so if I had a spare gun, I would at least have another shot at shooting and not a waisted trip.

Think of the whole episode as an excuse to meet a whole new group of friends/mentors and let us blather.

You are also correct, seeing it as a learning experience. Count on one nearly every time you take your rifle out.
None of the useful toys you bought for this were wasted investments; you will need them again.

I was tempted to advise you to sell/give that sad excuse for a bullet pulled you started with, and recommend this group to the buyer, so we could do it all over again, but do everyone a favor and junk that poorly designed screw - deeply.

To your new dry ball tool kit, I suggest you add a double-handled rod puller. I don't recall sseing it in any comment, but think Track lists one. It is, basically, two lever handles, hinged together with formed jaws to grab a ram rod; designed so the harder you pull, the tighter it clamps the rod. Very handy (essential) if you are trying to pull a stuck rod - for whatever reason- by yourself. You can tie your rifle to a tree and use all your might to extract the rod. (Unless you have a tremendous grip and don't need any advantage holding a slim, greasy rod...)

Also, I carry a small vial of alcohol in my bag (purely as lubricant for cleaning patches, understand). A bit run down the bore, when anything is stuck, works wonders for me to loosen fouling and free the jam.

I should get or at least make a good bullet puller. I have only had to use one once and it didn't work because I just had one of those thick screws that are mostly useless. It happened because I grabbed the wrong ball. It was a size too big. By the time I noticed, it was too late, had it in too far, so having no tools to get it out, I figured I would just drive it the rest of the way in. I git it half way and it wouldn't go any farther. So now, I can't shoot it out because it's half way, and I can't pull it out where I am so that ended my day. Went and got it out.

I usually just shoot them out but like I said it was only half way. After that I started carrying at least two guns to the range. I had had other problems. Getting older it's seems like every time I would go to the range I would end up with some issue or another because I would forget something, so if I had a spare gun, I would at least have another shot at shooting and not a waisted trip.
I used the braille method pulling guns outta the safe, got all geared up for Springfield musket shooting opened the sock at the range to find a trapdoor.
That was a short day... now I bring at least 2 guns to the range
A club member who makes range rods likes to tap two holes in the handle, one longways and another in the center so you can make a T for pulling dry balls. I just leave mine in the T configuration, I need it that way a LOT :doh:

Griz, when I do use a range rod it has a brass bore guide also there is no T handle it has a 5in. knurled straight handle it also has a hole bored through the end of the handle for attaching a piece of 1/4 in. rope through if needed.

Back