• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with stuck bullet

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbrynn

32 Cal
Reaction score
Well, firstly, I am new to the forum, so I wish a big hello to all.

so, i managed to load a 250 grain cast lead bullet down my barrel with no powder.....the bullet was lubed with thompson center bore butter.

I tried pulling it, but I think the screw puller went down the side of the bullet. It would grip, but pull free.
I also tried removing the nipple and putting a small charge through the nipple hole, but I must have created enough of a hole with the bullet puller that the gas of the charge escapes around the bullet....smoke comes out, but no bullet.

the gun is a Thompson center renegade. It has no breech plug that I am aware of...

any thoughts on how to get this bugger out of there?

thanks greatly in advance!

Here is a pic of the bullet puller and bullet.

I tried the charge several times, but the pressure just blows out the barrel. Think my bullet puller went down along the side of the bullet and created an avenue for the gases to get past

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 282
Be sure your screw is centered and try again with substantial downward force while screwing it in.

Also, are you SURE that there is a bullet in there? I've seen several times where someone kept trying to pull a ball or slug when there wasn't one in there at all!

Yeah, its in there. The bullet remover was gripping the lead, but would not stay in. Lead was in the threads of the bullet remover. Unfortunately, the bullet has pushed way down the barrel from me trying to get the bullet puller started.....

gonna try using an air compressor inserted through the nipple first Since I cant find the Co2 bullet remover Tool. If that fails, I Have on order drill bits that have 10/32 male threads. Thinking that I could drill a pilot hole in the bullet so that the bullet puller has an easier start. May also help to reduce the amount of expansion the bullet has to do as the puller is screwed in.....oh, will generously lube the barrel as well

if there are any other suggestions, or if what i am proposing sounds insane, let me know...

thanks everyone!

Hey, thanks mad professor. TOTW? Not familiar with them. Do you have a link? Also, the thread I have on all my stuff is 10/32

Thanks everyone! I ordered the ball puller as well from TOTW. looks like a better design than most i have seen.

will keep ya posted!

If the bullet slid down easily I would remove the barrel from the stock and tap the muzzle straight down on a block of wood - Like an inertia bullet puller for cartridges. The bullet's weight will cause it to move down the barrel.

Sounds to me like there's air gap around the bullet in the rifling grooves.
And, now there's powder fouling in the barrel.

Sounds like you're gonna need more powder behind the bullet than what has been used. Maybe get lots of powder behind it and then reseat the bullet.

I do not favor the second bullet ideal could lead to further problems, when your new ball puller arrives I would put DAWN dish washing liquid down the bore now while waiting for the puller, this would help dissolve any fowling from past attempted removals and second act as a lubricant, once the puller is inserted be sure it is very firmly seated into the bullet (sometimes shooters do not get the puller far enough into the bullet) Then take a piece of 1/4 inch rope tie one end to the rod and the other end to something that will not move (like a fence post) hold the rifle level at your waist take the slack out of the rope and put reward pressure on the rifle (lean back do not jerk the rifle) you should feel the bullet move when this happens keep the pressure steady and move back, the bullet should exit the barrel firmly attached to the puller.

Back