• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help with sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maelin Sav

32 Cal
Reaction score
So I recently finished building my Pedersoli Pennsylvania rifle kit. I am trying to install the sights but they don't seem to fit. The front sight is really really tight, and after trying to give it a few taps with a wooden mallet to get it into place it didn't even start to enter the dovetail joint. The rear sight is somewhat puzzling as it appears that the top screw should, in theory, loosen the male end of the dove tail to give it some room. However, upon completely removing the top screw the male end doesn't even wiggle. Is it all one piece? The third piece with the notches , based on the assembly manual, appears to give the rear sight elevation adjustment. Again, none of the sights want to fit into their assigned slots. I figured I would just ask for advice before I do something stupid and possibly ruin my sights or mar the barrel. Attached are various pictures of the pieces I am talking about.

20210515_171118.jpg
20210515_171111.jpg

Thanks

@Maelin Sav, you will need your triangular file with one side safe or smooth so you are only cutting the edge of your sight that you want. You will need to take a little bit off the dovetail so the sight can start in the dovetail recess on the barrel. Just a little at a time. The screw in the rear sight is to lock the rear sight in place and to aid in windage adjustments.

On another rifle, I sanded the bottom of the sight. It was easy to take off a little at a time with 120 grit sand paper. Easy to picture that it make it smaller to fit easier.

Back