• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Help With Shot Pouch Problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The bag and Irish Style shot spout have parted company. The bag ripped out a bit and started losing shot. I was able to take it apart, and I trimmed the pouch to square it up, but I am at a loss on how to put them back together. Instruction or referral to "how to" information would be most appreciated.

IMG_0521.jpg
IMG_0522.jpg

Just a guess, but does the top of the leather bag fit over the brass ring ? And does the leather covered ring fit into the spout at the base ? Maybe it’s all secured when you tighten down the set screws from the spout through the inner ring. I dunno... :dunno:

I think I have an Irish shot pouch. I just never got to use it since we can’t use lead anymore in California for hunting.

Just a guess, but does the top of the leather bag fit over the brass ring ? And does the leather covered ring fit into the spout at the base ? Maybe it’s all secured when you tighten down the set screws from the spout through the inner ring. I dunno... :dunno:

I think I have an Irish shot pouch. I just never got to use it since we can’t use lead anymore in California for hunting.
I was wondering the same thing. But it would seem one would need to punch holes, with a proper leather punch instead of an awl, at the location of the holes in the ring. The holes are threaded so if assembly is as we suspect, the screws need to go through the leather into the threaded holes.

These Italian shot flasks are a poor design they swing about hopelessly getting in the way . BUT if you make a Y shaped leather body they sit quite well and I use one I made up .The tops are OK its just the floppy bag . As to how to fix it Ide suggest have some mate handy with leather work do it & have it the Y shape on a shoulder belt on the left side so you don't clunk the gun if your right handed . Rudyard

Yes, and I would attach the bag to the brass ring with some contact cement. Tighten the screws and you should be all set.

upload_2019-12-21_16-10-15.png

It is not cheap, but I just started using Bismuth alloy shot from RotoMetals ( https://www.rotometals.com/bismuth-shot/ ). Not quite as heavy as lead, but the ducks don't seem to notice the difference.

The ring is a bit smaller than the spout, and the bag goes over the ring and I assume the seams on the bag should go into the two slots cut in opposite sides the ring. The clearance is tight and I can't even begin to get the ring and bag into the spout. I was hoping there was some "how to" trick to it someone might share with me.

I was wondering the same thing. But it would seem one would need to punch holes, with a proper leather punch instead of an awl, at the location of the holes in the ring. The holes are threaded so if assembly is as we suspect, the screws need to go through the leather into the threaded holes.

Both the spout and ring are threaded. There were a few bits of brass in the leather at the holes when I took it apart, so I suspect during original assembly the holes were drilled and tapped after the bag and ring were placed in the spout.

These Italian shot flasks are a poor design they swing about hopelessly getting in the way . BUT if you make a Y shaped leather body they sit quite well and I use one I made up .The tops are OK its just the floppy bag . As to how to fix it Ide suggest have some mate handy with leather work do it & have it the Y shape on a shoulder belt on the left side so you don't clunk the gun if your right handed . Rudyard

Thanks for this suggestion. Can I ask you to post a photo of yours so I might use it for a pattern? Thanks so much.

Dear Mr Bailey Your welcome I have difficulty posting pics direct if you PM me and give an E address I can get my youngest daughter to send you a pic if you want to post it no problem but don't add my private E .Regards Rudyard

Ring inside the bag neck. Leave 1/8" leather beyond the ring. There are two, three or four grub-screws on the head that poke through the leather into the holes in the ring (line the holes up with an awl before turning in the screws). You can hit the leather edge with melted resin before connecting to be authentic or Duco cement (or similar) to be close enough.

Back